Latest upgrades on the Jigmaster

Started by Alto Mare, December 09, 2014, 02:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Today I received the 4:1 gears for the Jigmaster, the pinion and the main gear are both heat treated.
took a closer look and they look very nice

On the left are the 5:1, in the center the latest 4:1 and on the right the original 4:1 gears

I'm using Bryans 5 washers kit with a little extra added

I have a Delrin for under the main gear, Stating in the main gear with a CF - Keyed - CF - eared - CF - keyed - CF - eared ...this one should be flush with the lip of the gear, CF - keyed - Delrin washer and tension spring, followed by a 11.5mm custom spacer.
Everything is working perfectly with this layout. I do not like to use the Belleville on these reele, I only use the Belleville from the 113H and up.
Here is what you'll end up with

Here are the custom spacers, Three sizes are available, 10.50mm-11.50mm and 12.50mm

I couldn't get the handle screw on the stainless steel sleeve, this one got damaged from my previous tests. Yes the stainless sleeve will also get damaged if pushed over its limit. Here I'm using the 98-155 sleeve, yes it will work if you don't have the correct one.

I personally do not use power drivers on my reels I just use a screwdriver

I'm going to recommend that you do the same especially on this reel, if the screws don't line up and you use a power drive, those screws won't last long. We need stainless steel screws for this bridge, but if you do as I do by hand, you'll be fine
Here is something unusual from Scotts, I ordered some handle screws and some came with  blue Loctite. I don't believe we'll need the set screw with those

Great job on these Alan C. they feel nice, I pulled 30lbs  with no problems.
Everything works smoothly, shifts in and out of gear with no issues, the pinion is very tight on the spool, better that stock.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to build a little tank.
This reel was already a great reel, it is now indestructible, I will safely say that we made our selves a nice 20lbs reel.

Alan, you need to make more of these gears.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
    Thanks for testing these for us... 30 lbs! :o I bet Mr. Henze had no idea a jig master could do that!
These gears are the ones that'll fit the 112h, correct? If so, have you had a chance to test them on the 112H?
Thanks,
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on December 09, 2014, 02:41:20 AM
Sal,
   Thanks for testing these for us... 30 lbs! :o I bet Mr. Henze had no idea a jig master could do that!
These gears are the ones that'll fit the 112h, correct? If so, have you had a chance to test them on the 112H?
Thanks,
Dom
Not yet, I don't anticipate any problems.
These are what I was asking for from the very beginning.
I will try them in the 112H tomorrow. The pinion from the original moves back and forth about 1/16", the new one has zero play. It could be a problem with some spools that are not consistent,  I tried it on a couple and got the same results... I like it. ;)
I didn't give them my usual workout its dark and cold outside ;D.
I tied the line with a scale and walked back as I was tightening the star. When I got it to 30#, I reeled it in and gave it a nice long pull. The line peeled off very smoothly, I believe the top and bottom Delrin are doing their job.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I've run into loose Penn tolerance, less is better to a point.  Thanks again Alan.  

Sal, keep a close eye on your mail and pay attention to the note.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice setup! I got a set of the 4:1 as well and I'm loving them! Very smooth!

Rothmar2

Very nice Sal and Alan C.
Do you think the side plates for the jigmasters are up to handling 20lb of drag, long term?
Especially if the reel has been frame and spool upgraded?
It's seems now with all the upgrades added to these reels, that the side plates are now the weakest link.
Of course a set of Accuplates would make this reel not bullet, but artillery proof!

broadway

Rothmar,
   You're right about the extra strength needed to prevent twisting, but I think it's more of a Tiburon or Accurate frame fix.
I haven't seen Sal mention his side plates getting destroyed from pressure on any of his testing, but Sal could answer this better.

Hoping for perfect fitment results for the 112h. Sal, As you know, I recently tried my Newell gears that were made for both the Jigmaster and the 112h and the pinion needs a wider I.D. for the 112h by a smidgen. It's possible the gears are defective I suppose. :-\
I'm gonna get cracking on mine when they get here... can't wait to turn my 112hsp's into monster so I can finally dial down the size of gear with this upgrade. Thanks Alan and Sal!
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 09, 2014, 04:47:33 AM
Do you think the side plates for the jigmasters are up to handling 20lb of drag, long term?
It's seems now with all the upgrades added to these reels, that the side plates are now the weakest link.
Of course a set of Accuplates would make this reel not bullet, but artillery proof!

I've tested many reels, but my tests are short term. All I could give you is my opinion and that is yes, the plates on this latest set up should do just fine.
Penn rates their jigmasters at 14/15lbs, those are stock. We have many more goodies on ours, also, keeping the reel smooth under load helps quite a bit.
Still, the reel itself will answer that question better than anyone ;)
Let me say that we do not change the design, we simply try to beef it up. Penn already did all the hard work, when they made this reel they made a masterpiece. That goes for many others.
I love the look of Accu-Plates, but like stock better.

I'm going to let the cat out of the bag here,  Alan might be upset at me. :-\
I told him I want a stainless steel jigmaster, this was about a year ago. Of course this isn't for everyone, cost might be too high.
he is currently working on stainless steel plates, when I say currently it means maybe in a year or two...if they're possible.
He did say, if they're out of reach, he will try to make one set just for me...we'll see.... :-\
This reel is now one of my favorite, I will now need to bug him about making us some more of the 4:1. I would also like all of our future gears to be drilled as the gears in the Fathom, but I might be pressing my luck ;D.
Alan C. has done some good things for us.
Sal

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 09, 2014, 11:53:44 AM
Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 09, 2014, 04:47:33 AM

I've tested many reels, but my tests are short term. All I could give you is my opinion and that is yes, the plates on this latest set up should do just fine.
Penn rates their jigmasters at 14/15lbs, those are stock. We have many more goodies on ours, also, keeping the reel smooth under load helps quite a bit.
Let me say that we do not change the design, we simply try to beef it up. Penn already did all the hard work, when they made this reel they made a masterpiece. That goes for many others.

I told him I want a stainless steel jigmaster, this was about a year ago. Of course this isn't for everyone, cost might be too high.
he is currently working on stainless steel plates, when I say currently it means maybe in a year or two...if they're possible.
He did say, if they're out of reach, he will try to make one set just for me...we'll see.... :-\
This reel is now one of my favorite, I will now need to bug him about making us some more of the 4:1. I would also like all of our future gears to be drilled as the gears in the Fathom, but I might be pressing my luck ;D.
Sal

We shall see....

Rothmar2

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 09, 2014, 11:53:44 AM

Sal

I value your opinion on this one. I have been looking around for a suitably priced JM over here to do a full mod on with all the goodies. I'd actually like to do a 501 width conversion, but just wanted to be sure the side plates will be up to the task.
Stainless plates! Wow! Now that would be some serious bling. Virtually indestructible, short of dropping a car on it. I was actually thinking along these lines for my next project I'm going to start now that the 6/0 is almost finished. Only I was looking into welding the rough plates and frame together and fairing back on the lathe from there. Milled plates from solid stainless stock is going to be one hell of a task, and hard on tools, but all electro-polished, it will be stunning! But they will be $$$$$ for sure.
Will these 4:1 gears get a production run?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 09, 2014, 01:29:24 PM

I value your opinion on this one. I have been looking around for a suitably priced JM over here to do a full mod on with all the goodies. I'd actually like to do a 501 width conversion, but just wanted to be sure the side plates will be up to the task.
Stainless plates! Wow! Now that would be some serious bling. Virtually indestructible, short of dropping a car on it. I was actually thinking along these lines for my next project I'm going to start now that the 6/0 is almost finished. Only I was looking into welding the rough plates and frame together and fairing back on the lathe from there. Milled plates from solid stainless stock is going to be one hell of a task, and hard on tools, but all electro-polished, it will be stunning! But they will be $$$$$ for sure.
Will these 4:1 gears get a production run?

Alan's team is well equipped.

About the 4:1, I'm not sure if he will make a run, he will need to answer that one....I'm hoping he does.
Some of mine went to members that were Hyperventilating.  ;D
Sal

George4741

Sal, thank you for your info and continued experiments.  I enjoy reading your posts. 

What is the purpose of the delrin washer on top of the drag stack?
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Nice.  I'm glad that Alan brought this to completion.  I believe in 4:1 gear ratios.  You only gain a little when changing to 5:1 but could lose a lot in strength of the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on December 09, 2014, 06:07:09 PM
Sal, thank you for your info and continued experiments.  I enjoy reading your posts. 

What is the purpose of the delrin washer on top of the drag stack?
Hello George,
The delrin washer on top makes turning the star easier. I believe that washer, along with the bottom delrin washer will also helps making the gears smoother when under load.

I'm waiting for the day that Bryan says to me, Sal, I do feel the difference with the two. ;D That day might never come :-\.

We have a nice reel here George...I'm excited.
Sal