259 Long Beach Eccentric Lever

Started by George4741, December 09, 2014, 05:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

On the 259 the eccentric lever is flipped forward for freespool and to the rear to engage the gear.  This is the reverse from most of the reels I use.  I know it's a small thing, but it might be confusing when fishing.  So, I installed an 11-99 jack and 12-500 yoke and now the eccentric lever operates the same way as my Jigmasters and Senators.  I saved the old parts in case I want to return the reel to original specs.

Now if I can just figure out a way to do the same with my 349 Master Mariners. :(   
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

pretty good!  i didn't know you could do that!!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on December 09, 2014, 05:28:28 AM
......the eccentric lever is flipped forward for freespool and to the rear to engage the gear.   

That's one of the things about the 349 I like.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Good thinking George. I just ruined a eccentric spring on my 66 trying to put it in like a Senators. >:(
Got to get used to that. ::)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

On the 259 the eccentric lever is flipped forward for freespool and to the rear to engage the gear.  This is the reverse from most of the reels I use.  I know it's a small thing, but it might be confusing when fishing.  So, I installed an 11-99 jack and 12-500 yoke and now the eccentric lever operates the same way as my Jigmasters and Senators.  I saved the old parts in case I want to return the reel to original specs.

Now if I can just figure out a way to do the same with my 349 Master Mariners. :(   
Now you got me thinking about my 259s.  I need to look at it soon.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Most all the oldest penns from the 30's and 40's were like that, freespool forward on the lever. I have a early 40's 165 that freespools moving the lever forward, and I also have a late 1950's 165 that freespools moving the lever towards you. I prefer the latter also
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

George4741

Quote from: Keta on December 09, 2014, 08:08:06 PM
......the eccentric lever is flipped forward for freespool and to the rear to engage the gear.   

That's one of the things about the 349 I like.

Lee, maybe you can install the jack and pinion yoke from a 259 into your jigmasters and have them that way, too. ;)

I looked at a 60, 285, and 2/0, but I don't think it's possible with them. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Islandgypsy

Not to deviate away from the 259,but just serviced a Delmar 285 and the eccentric is also "backward" from most other Penn designs. I know someone here has the answer for why this is so..an advantage in wire lining ( a method I'm not familiar using ) perhaps? A cost cutting measure?..the 285 is an "economy class"reel. 
   Surely the Penn engineers had a reason for most designs engaging the spool when the eccentric is advanced, but some just the opposite. ??? Thanks, Greg.

George4741

Greg, I don't have the answer to that.  Anyone else?
viurem lliures o morirem

Normslanding

I remember years ago some discussion about reels being shoved into free spool while fighting a fish. I for one have hit the small Squidder anti reverse lever while fighting a fish, it was very painful. Never knocked a 259 out of gear, but it crossed my mind a lot. And now I am using my 501/259 narrowed reel again. This is in my head!

George4741

I think the forward movement of the lever to engage the gear is more natural, since that is the way you are turning the handle.  This operation seems to flow more smoothly than the reverse lever of the Long Beaches etc.
viurem lliures o morirem

fIsHsTiiCkS

If you swap the pinion with a jigmaster pinion. It brings the gear ratio to 3.3:1

Just if you want to increase the speed of the reel.

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on March 10, 2015, 11:48:24 PM
I think the forward movement of the lever to engage the gear is more natural, since that is the way you are turning the handle.  This operation seems to flow more smoothly than the reverse lever of the Long Beaches etc.

I agree!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.