9/0 broken post on plate for dog spring

Started by Indyfisher, June 17, 2017, 02:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyfisher

Doing some reel prep and cleaning, I ran into a problem where the post in the side plate that supports the dog spring literally looked like it sheared off. Instead of buying a new plate this one will get cut for double dogs and found some parts and inspiration to fix it without possible failure.

Indyfisher

I found some pins that very similar to the sleeve pins but about 4mm in diameter. Drilled a small pilot hole at the broken post and worked up to 11/64th to allow for some epoxy to hold it in place. Only drilled certain depth as marked on the bit so the post had enough clearance and support.

Indyfisher

TheReelShop

I was just going to offer that advice but you nailed it. Looks good, keep us posted.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Nice save! How'd the milling of the plate for the second dog go?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Indyfisher

I didn't take pics of the second dog but it turned out okay after a few attempts. Started by removing as little as possible, Daron is right it sounds like a machine gun. Especially with the wiper blade springs. :)

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Bryan Young

Don't you just love when a plan comes together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Indyfisher

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 22, 2017, 04:02:33 AM
Don't you just love when a plan comes together.
It makes up for all the ones that don't and leave you frustrated for a few days until you have that simple solution just pop in your head.  ;D