Baja Spool coupler

Started by fsrmn, December 10, 2014, 09:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fsrmn

While I was giving this Baja the AT service, I found I couldn't remove the bearing on the spool. After looking at it closer I noticed that the edges were worn off of the coupler and it was spread out to the point where the bearing would not slide over it. Is this a normal sign of wear? I cleaned and oiled the bearing where it was (not an easy task) and put everything back together and it seems to work ok. Is there any way to repair or replace this piece on the spool?

btw: I put the last delrin washer I got from Sal under the main gear to replace the plastic one. Thanks again Sal   ;)

Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Bryan Young

I've only done pre-use service on those reels.  Sorry.  I cannot help regarding if it's a reoccurring issue.

The mating connection is a part of the spool.  I doubt that it's a removeable part.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

I have serviced many of these reels and have never seen this happen. I zoomed in on the picture and can see what you mean. Did you try any tools to remove the outer bearing?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fsrmn

No, I didn't try any tools. The bearing slid up and down easily below the gap but would not go past it. You can't really see from the pic, but the top has a slight outward slope from the gap up.  ??? I was thinking of filing it down and re-polishing it when I decide to replace the bearing.

fsrmn

I put it in a vise with plastic to protect the outside. I put a small piece of metal in the slot just a little smaller than the opening. I cranked it down and will let it sit that way for a few days to see if it will straighten up. I think the chipped edges are beyond repair since it is an integral part of the spool. It seems the only way to fix it properly would be to replace the spool.

JasonGotaProblem

Blast from the past. This reel is mine now. I successfully removed the bearing with a screwdriver as the lever and a well chosen fulcrum. But after bouncing off my cheek the bearing shot across the garage/universe. I probably destroyed the bearing anyway but I can't find the size published anywhere to just replace it. Does anyone know the dimensions?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sabaman1

Jason, looks like its part number 55-910 on mystic parts website you might want to double check on the schematics.
JIM

Keta

Removing the burr with a fine file helps get bearings off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sabaman1

Jason, Mystic parts shows the measurements when you look up the part number 55-910.
JIM