Narrow Reels

Started by sharkman, December 11, 2014, 04:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Quote from: George4741 on December 23, 2014, 05:47:55 PM
DaBigOno, your reel stand looks different.  Did you drill holes and add a rod clamp to a 30-65 stand?

Are you thinking the old chrome 30-66 stand didn't have holes for a clamp?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

vilters

Here are some of mine. 500 w/ accurate kit with the parts to 99 size it. gonna put some new stuff inside it too.. just picked up the tib/501 today. guy even threw in a 24-55 handle too  :) best $40 I spent all Christmas!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broschro

this is my 501 with all the goodies.

George4741

Quote from: MarkT on December 23, 2014, 09:50:23 PM
Quote from: George4741 on December 23, 2014, 05:47:55 PM
DaBigOno, your reel stand looks different.  Did you drill holes and add a rod clamp to a 30-65 stand?

Are you thinking the old chrome 30-66 stand didn't have holes for a clamp?

Sorry, I didn't see your response until now.  About the stand, It looks different than the typical 30-65 and 30-66 stands.  From what I can see in the photo, it looks like a 30-65 stand with holes for the rod clamp bolts.  Just an unusual looking reel stand.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: broschro on December 28, 2014, 02:55:29 PM
Jamie, get that reel off the parts before it gets scratched up ::)...very nice reel ;D.

Very nice reels Vilters, you did good on that Jigmaster and I'm glad because what comes afterwards isn't cheap ;D
Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

I see there are a lot of narrow-minded people here. ::)

Thanks for sharing your photos, members.  Nice reels.  I'll take a narrow reel any day over a wide one.

BTW Sharkman, I have to disagree on your assessment that the 130 Sailfisher is not a strong reel.  The reel foot, gears, and other components look beefy to me.  The 130 is also a favorite of mine.
viurem lliures o morirem

broschro

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 28, 2014, 03:26:25 PM
Quote from: broschro on December 28, 2014, 02:55:29 PM
Jamie, get that reel off the parts before it gets scratched up ::)...very nice reel ;D.

Very nice reels Vilters, you did good on that Jigmaster and I'm glad because what comes afterwards isn't cheap ;D
Thanks for sharing.

Sal
love my narrow reals as well. narrow 113h narrow 501 narrow 505 all have the available stainless steel parts inside of them. I have caught some big fish with them.Sal I have that one altogether and using it, just don't have the pictures with me to post.when I get back to Florida I will post up all of mine narrow reels.

Islandgypsy

This is my newest narrow...Cal Sheets cow special. If you look close ( sorry about the poor pic.- still in the learning mode ) you'll notice the frame has been machined out and a custom spool installed to add an additional 150 yds 130 JB Hollow to the standard capacity of a 50 VSX. A custom 1:1 low gear has also been installed. This will be be my go to for upcoming 15 day end of Jan.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Islandgypsy on December 28, 2014, 09:29:01 PM
This is my newest narrow...Cal Sheets cow special. If you look close ( sorry about the poor pic.- still in the learning mode ) you'll notice the frame has been machined out and a custom spool installed to add an additional 150 yds 130 JB Hollow to the standard capacity of a 50 VSX. A custom 1:1 low gear has also been installed. This will be be my go to for upcoming 15 day end of Jan.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your reel. Cal, his son and crew do very fine work.

A 15 day in the cow pasture at the right time, man I'm  jealous. Please give a report when you get back.

Alto Mare

Very nice reel. Are the lugs for the rod brace or harness? They appear to be low :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Islandgypsy

SoCal, will try to post a pic or two upon return. No rod brace ,Sal, lugs are for a kidney harness which we don't use much anymore for our style of fishing-when a big tuna decides to move up or down the the rail one needs to move with the fish RIGHT NOW. Many big fish have been lost because an angler was too " strapped in". We do put the rod forearm on the rail for added leverage, though. Keep in mind we are fishing from an anchored boat and have no ability to chase a big one, so lots of line is a must.

Alto Mare

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Sal

SoCalAngler

Yeah the lugs have to be moved back due to the machining of the frame and different spool. As stated some use lower harnesses or use the lugs if they choose to use the reel for trolling. Many boats out here have rails, not rocket launchers or fixed places on the rail to troll at and a strap is attached to the reel while trolling. Unlike the Spirit Of Adventure which has solid rails, from the deck to top of the rail, and fixed locations to put your rod at for trolling.

Alto Mare

Thanks Mark! I knew you would also know it, you're a walking encyclopedia when it comes to this stuff ;D