Marking Carbon Fiber Sheet for Precise Cutting

Started by gstours, December 11, 2014, 06:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I have tried different paints, flour, stencil ink, and presently have found the best way so far to mark cf washers for cutting and shaping for the drag washers we so dearly love.
It is a water clean up product, which is nice, and cheap, available at craft stores on the west coast.  It leaves a very clean mark, and doesent bleed
  or get fat, after marking.  Just an idea for those who want to make hex, star, octagon washers. or Identify cf as itsa contrast w black for sure.

Alto Mare

Very good tip Gary, I know how hard it is trying to trace it. Thanks for sharing... I'll keep my flour to make pizza dough ;D.

Sal

Gary, I just noticed that you have other pieces marked, all you need is one ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I use a Silver Sharpie. I'm sure your way is more economical Gary, but the pens are a perk from work. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice buddy, but Gary was talking about the Hex. I doubt that sharpie could squeeze under the main gear and trace the inside ;) ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Oh,
I see now. I've cut so many Hex Drags, I don't want to do it any more. ::)
I make a rough draft with the scissors and then just fit each one to the gear, a little at a time with a Dremel. I have a credit Card Template.

I tried paint at first, but it didn't work out so good. Good Tip Gary! ;D

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Using a credit card is a very good idea, if you get it perfect, that's all you would need. Keep it as a template, hold it on top of the CF sheet and cut around with scissors, no more marking needed.

Tiddlerbasher

And it can save a fortune if the wife want's to 'borrow' it ;)

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Alto Mare

I really don't need any template, I usually look at it and shape it, as I did here ;D

Lensters

I use Crayola Metallic FX markers for marking my CF.  I don't see the exact thing that I use online anymore but these should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Metallic-Markers-8-Count/dp/B00FY2OCSK/ref=pd_sim_t_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14ADHJS5WE51GGSZTCWT
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

Shark Hunter

I'd say those stairs aren't going anywhere for a while. Good Work Sal! ;D
Life is Good!