Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteIf you haven't found any yet -- you can take your pick of these.

Fred,

When I saw all the vintage handles I was wondering what happened to all the reels they were attached to.

The $6.50 deal you got on the 118 handles was amazing, even for 12 year ago pricing.

I am impressed with your generosity concerning the early vintage handles and handle screws. I know they are not easy to find these days.

I suspect you are one of the Good Guys.......................... ;)

All the Best,

Mike C.

foakes

Hi Mike & Brian --

It is not really a collection -- just spare parts over the years.

I would take every reel people would give or sell me -- generally in large groups, or old tackle shop buyouts.

Many times reels had broken sideplates, missing spools, etc.  Sometimes boxes and boxes full -- or truck loads.

So I got pretty good at stripping old reels down and organizing the parts into groups and brands -- with the idea that they would be useful at some point.  And over the years, the bails, spools, rotors, handles, and every small part have been invaluable when needed.

So I have a decent selection of both old and NOS parts for a few different major old brands.  And many other less popular reels.

Makes it easier to repair reels for clients.

Brian, I will PM (private mail) you -- then you can email me your name and address.

There will be no charge -- just pay a couple of bucks for postage after you are satisfied with the parts.

Mike -- as you have found out, everyone on here is a "good guy, or gal" -- amazing site -- everyone tries to help as they can.  And Alan and the Moderators keep everything on the high road with the 12 YO rule.

Thanks again for all you do, Mike...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Well Fred, I see you have a massive amount of stuff. What amazes me more than all the stuff you have is the level of "NEAT" you have accomplished. I have seen other massive collections but very few are kept as neat and seemingly organized as yours.

Nice Penn book you got there too!! :D

DesertCatRat

Fred, mike, I too am impressed with the quality of folks on this site,been on many times as guest and fantastic group of people and knowledge
I am reluctant to sign up for anything, but I felt this site is special so decided to register
Thanks to both for the great info on my long beach, super cool find as the Palm Springs area is not a sport fishing Mecca, with the salton sea heydays I'm sure there may some good finds out here,who knows? 

Fred, I will send you a pm shortly

I will get some better pics of the model 60 in the coming days ,hopefully with a new handle and nut😉
I have the brass drag washers which are a bit rough, cupped a bit, and it had very thin smooth black drag washers?
My old 25 has leather,is that what my 60 should have?
I'm into original stock condition when it comes to older models, to keep it as true to the period as possible
I only have a few older penn's ,so this long beach is definitely top in my limited collection

I love the other reels in this thread, very cool to see the many faces of the long beach models
Brian

Aiala

Quote from: DesertCatRat on January 29, 2015, 05:10:56 PM
Palm Springs area is not a sport fishing Mecca, with the Salton Sea heydays I'm sure there may some good finds out here,who knows?

20+ years ago I regularly fished the Salton Sea out of Red Hill/Niland... wide-open bites of 10-20lb corvina were the rule rather than the exception. All gone, alas...  :-\

As for what's available locally, there's Lake Cahuilla for stocked trout in winter (cats in summer), Lake Hemet up the mountains, Diamond Valley Lake, and of course San Diego isn't all that far.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

DesertCatRat

I have not been able to find anything on the Duvall's Sporting Goods laminate on the left tail plate of my long beach, mike c lent some great ideas which make a lot of sense
However I was able to find this photo online of a fly rod tube with marking containing the same sporting goods store?  I am now quite curious
Exploring red knob tackle, which may have been a tackle store inside of Duvalls,  a lot of stores had separate stores within, I'm hoping this may be the case
Any thoughts?
Brian

Penn Chronology

:o :o  The worm turns! Isn't it weird that your Long Beach has a strange "Red Knob" handle and the store within Duvall's Sporting Goods was known as Red Knob Tackle. To me that is too much of a coincidence to just walk on by it.

We keep calling the handle a Pflueger handle, but, could it be a Penn handle blade with a special Red Knob Tackle, Red Knob installed on it????? ::)

Not that a Pflueger handle cannot be adapted to a Penn reel, but, a Pflueger Handle has a square broached hole in it while a Penn handle has a hole in it shaped more like an egg.

Stranger things have happened you know! ??? ??? ???

DesertCatRat

Mike,
Wow! I totally missed that, and what sense,good eye
Here  are pics of my handle removed from the 60 , on the right, and one off my 25 monofil, left,for comparison
Is the knurled counter weight proper for the 60?
Notice the  "pflueger " curves in opposite of what actually is 24-155,
There is some rough marks on back of knob shaft, may indicate custom job
But the red knob mystery,hmm,no steel shaft for knob either
Brian

Penn Chronology

Looks to me like the Red Knob has been mounted to the original Penn Handle blade. Just look at the handle blades in Fred's pictures. The counter weight and blade look the same. The direction of the "S" curve shape is variable. It goes both ways on many Penn handles.
             The old wood Penn knobs broke down in time. A previous owner of this reel may not have liked the old knob or he may have damaged it and had it changed to this Red Knob, or maybe this shop did this on a regular basis. Seems like the penning done to the knob rivet tail is not factory done.
             It is a mystery, but it also has made for a interesting point about this old reel. Too bad the reel cannot talk. :(

DesertCatRat

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 30, 2015, 01:22:30 AM
Looks to me like the Red Knob has been mounted to the original Penn Handle blade. Just look at the handle blades in Fred's pictures. The counter weight and blade look the same. The direction of the "S" curve shape is variable. It goes both ways on many Penn handles.
             The old wood Penn knobs broke down in time. A previous owner of this reel may not have liked the old knob or he may have damaged it and had it changed to this Red Knob, or maybe this shop did this on a regular basis. Seems like the penning done to the knob rivet tail is not factory done.
             It is a mystery, but it also has made for a interesting point about this old reel. Too bad the reel cannot talk. :(
I agree Mike , I too looked at Fred's handles, the counterweight is knurled in most , and s curves are consistent
I find it interesting the knob is poured all the way to the blank and has an oil port, nice work indeed
Very kindly,Fred is sending me a proper handle and nut
But since the discovery of "red knob tackle" and your theory on their possible use of custom red handles to identify their gear from the rest, I am wondering if it should remain as is? I am old school and prefer complete stock resto, this has me in a bit of a quandary
Maybe I can uncover some more info or if I listen closely "she"may talk to me, all my reels are lady's 😁

I saw the long beach earlier in thread with the white diamond on the left tail plate ,are these markings very common? If so, I wonder if there are other reels with the Duvalls decal out there, or even other so cal tackle shops decals
I know of the different colored plates or painted plates, the decals intrigue me
Brian

George4741

I recently bought a Seagate which, as Mike said, is just a Long Beach 60 with a different name.  At less than $10 including shipping, I couldn't pass it up.  The black plastic spool was tweaked and difficult to turn so I temporarily replaced it with a brown one from a Seaboy 85.  I've since ordered a more appropriately colored spool.  I also upgraded the drag stack with HT100s but left the rest as originally found.  The bridge is part #3-85 which makes me wonder if it is original.  I would think a 3-60 bridge is correct for this reel.  Does anyone know which bridge is the correct one for my reel?
Thank You,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Superhook

George,

The Seagate (250 yds- #125 model  1939-46 ) was discontinued before part nos. began being stamped.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn125.aspx
The parts for a Long Beach#60 should fit as replacements . They were made with metal and plastic spools.

Ray

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Mattman NZ

My one and only Long Beach no66 - I've just spent the best part of two days stripping and cleaning this reel I originally bought for spare parts - and while looking through my boxes of spare parts to make this reel useable I came across a Long Beach side plate with no number .
Cheers.
Matt...
I think its too good to scrap now ...

Shark Hunter

Good Job Matt! I love the 66 and 67. ;D
Life is Good!

George4741

Quote from: Superhook on February 08, 2015, 10:15:45 PM
George,

The Seagate (250 yds- #125 model  1939-46 ) was discontinued before part nos. began being stamped.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn125.aspx
The parts for a Long Beach#60 should fit as replacements . They were made with metal and plastic spools.

Ray

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

That makes sense, since no other part is stamped with a number.  The -85 bridge is a replacement.  Thanks for the info.
George
viurem lliures o morirem