Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

An example of a Long Beach 65 with brown and black speckled plates.  It appears to be all original.  No numbers on any of the parts, with the exception of the handle.  The previous owner properly cleaned and removed the salt corrosion, for which I'm eternally grateful.  Thank you, buddy.  It has a nice patina on the chrome parts and I'll keep it that way.  Many folks use a brillo pad to remove the corrosion, leaving everything hideously scratched. >:(    
Long live the Long Beach,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Nice reel George.... I got one just like it this week except I believe yours is a bit older. Mine was during the transitional years with a mix of numbered and non numbered parts. Clean her up, switch out the handle and nut, then shelf her.
Nice find,
Dom

Penn Chronology

[quoteAn example of a Long Beach 65 with brown and black speckled plates][/quote]

Great collectible, These mottled models, especially Long Beach versions are not easy to find.

George4741

Thank you, gentlemen.  Dom, I think we are fortunate to find two LBs in this color.  Mine is as clean is it'll get for fear of removing more chrome.  On the shelf it goes.    

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 16, 2015, 04:23:22 AM

Great collectible, These mottled models, especially Long Beach versions are not easy to find.

Other than the example on your Penn Picture Tail Plates thread, I don't believe I've seen another LB in this color.  I made the initial bid on eBay and no one else saw or wanted it.  
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteOther than the example on your Penn Picture Tail Plates thread, I don't believe I've seen another LB in this color.  I made the initial bid on eBay and no one else saw or wanted it. 

No telling why the auction went that way, just the nature of the EBay environment. I once bought a Penn Model 170 for $5.00 on EBay. The next one I saw sold for over $200. One never knows.

George4741

Ah yes, the elusive 170.  Is it a widened version of the original 190 knucklebuster? 
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteAh yes, the elusive 170.  Is it a widened version of the original 190 knucklebuster?  

Actually they were both introduced in the 1939 model year, so there is no original version. They were born together. Scan from the 1939 Catalog:

George4741

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 16, 2015, 11:37:01 PM
QuoteAh yes, the elusive 170.  Is it a widened version of the original 190 knucklebuster?  

Actually they were both introduced in the 1939 model year, so there is no original version. They were born together. Scan from the 1939 Catalog:

I call it the original 190 to differentiate from the much larger 190 Seaboy introduced in the 1990s.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

I call it the original 190 to differentiate from the much larger 190 Seaboy introduced in the 1990s

And here is my weak link. I am not familiar with modern products.

Shark Hunter

:D Its 25 years old Mike.
Granted, I drive an old Chevy to work every day that is 26, But I don't consider it Modern. ;)
Life is Good!

Superhook

Daron,

If it's not as old as Mike it must be NEW and if the reel is not as old as me ...next.  Works for me too.  ;D

Penn Chronology

Well, I like old things. Here is the Jeep I drive,
and here is my old S 10 Chevy that I painted last year with a gallon of Royal Blue Rustoleum and a paint brush. Cost me $32 to paint that old truck and $15 for those plastic hubcaps.

I do not have any pictures of my 1990 Ford van with 300,000 on the original motor and still taking me back and fourth to the airport every weekend (you can see a piece of it behind the old CJ. I like my old ugly van because people see me coming and get out of my way. :)

bluefish69

So you were the guy that cut me off on the Southern State Pkwy. on the weekend.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo you were the guy that cut me off on the Southern State Pkwy. on the weekend.

So youes was dat old guy doing 35mph in da passing lane. Yea, dat was me dat cut youes off.................. ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

Since we are turning this into Show off your Roller. :D Here is Mine. 1989 Silverado. My Daily Driver. I could use one of those $32 paint jobs Mike. ;D
Life is Good!