Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

OK, one more in the factory shot for now. No CNC equipment here!!

Superhook

Photo of Penn employees and about a third distance from left , Otto in suit ?, Martha and son.

txangler81

In the picture of the people on the boat there is another man in the back right that isn't looking at the camera as well. looks like he might be doing something with his reel.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Not to hijack the thread, but since all the knowledge seems to be here. I have a Penn 99 that the reel seat has line capacity on it instead of the part number (no part numbers anywhere actually) and the tail plate is pictured. How old would that be?

Penn Chronology

QuoteNot to hijack the thread, but since all the knowledge seems to be here. I have a Penn 99 with the reel seat has line capacity on it stead of part number (no part numbers anywhere actually) and the tail plate is pictured. How old would that be?

The first Penn 99 was introduced in 1949. The Silver Beach was made pre-war as the model 97 & 98. If yours has the model # in the head plate logo and it has a line capacity on the stand with no part numbers it was made from 1949 to maybe 1951 or 52. From 1953 Penn started numbering the parts.

Maxed Out

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 27, 2015, 05:19:56 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but since all the knowledge seems to be here. I have a Penn 99 with the reel seat has line capacity on it stead of part number (no part numbers anywhere actually) and the tail plate is pictured. How old would that be?

Does the logo say "99" ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fIsHsTiiCkS

It does say 99 on it. To bad, a pre war reel would have been nice! Only between 1949-52 still makes it quite old and from a short run. Thanks for the info. Also, it has an arrow on the handle side plate ring, showing where the thumb screw should line up. Thats the first time I have seen that.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt does say 99 on it. To bad, a pre war reel would have been nice! Only between 1949-52 still makes it quite old and from a short run. Thanks for the info. Also, it has an arrow on the handle side plate ring, showing where the thumb screw should line up. Thats the first time I have seen that.

On page 147 in my book there is a three page description of your reel. I always considered the Silver Beach 99 a iconic model Penn reel.

That arrow on the head plate retaining screw is a trait you might find on any of the early EZ take aparts.

Shark Hunter

I found a few more pics Mike.
These are probably from the 1940's. I tried to blow them up, but they just get fuzzy.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI found a few more pics Mike.

Great stuff, I have not seen these. With all the ladies, I would think most are from wartime era.

Newell Nut

The Newell Nut is not prejudice. I actually have a large Penn collection. ;)
This week I logged on just at the right time to see a LB65 NIB listed at buy it now for 24.99 and I thought about it for two seconds. Now I have NIB LB 60, 65, 66 and 67. And a few tanks.

Mic

That's nice~!

Real, Reel, nice.....................Great buy~!

Penn Chronology

$25.00 is a absolute best buy. It is a 1968 NOS LB 65 worth at least double that.

Newell Nut

Thank you for the accurate date and value. I knew it is one of the early ones with a steel gear. An earlier price on top of the box was $10.29.

Tightlines667

Thought I'd share photos of my LB65, LB67 and 2 LB67 boxes.  The 65 is nonnumbered, square non-pictured tailplate, w/hershey's clicker knob, drilled spool arbor, scalloped handle retainer, and large coin edged counterweight w/torpedo knob.  No yardage stamped on foot.  

Maybe a ca. 1941/42 w/an older, nonpictured tailplate?  

Or maybe it is more likely that this reel is a late 1940s model, with an earlier/prewar handle, and an incorrect non-pictured tailplate both of which were added at some later point?

The LB67 appears to be 1946/47 but with a prewar (drilled spool arbor) 3-piece spool.  The large slug counterweight, and torpedo knob suggest post war.  It is non-numbered, has the standard square-edged picture tailplate, and externally accessable drags.  

The first LB67 box is a 1941.

The second LB67 box is a 1951-1952/53 (this is not the correct wrench for this reel box).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.