Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Interesting bunch of Long Beach models.

Tightlines667

Thanks to Ted, I now have a prewar (1940/41 No.67 reel to display with my 1940/41 box.  I can see collecting these early LB reels can be a never ending quest.  I do have a start.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

John,

The Long Beach is a model that Penn built many different ways. In chapter 6 of my Penn Companion, green book, the Long Beach is the topic. Penn loved modifying the Long Beach in the 1930's. From 1933 to 1939, Penn built the Long Beach model 12 different ways. So it is a fun model to collect.

Superhook

Ted's Long beach Reels

From back left : #60 in the 1957 transition box  ,  1939 #65   ,   1950 #65LH - ID on box and logo on reel   ,   1940's #60 & 1946-48 #65LS - The LS stands for Light Spool . In 1946-48 #60'S AND #65'S were made with plastic spools and had either #60LS or #65LS printed on the box .

The reels in front are from the 1940's .

4 x #60's - 3 without no's and 1 with some no's.
Check that two-tone pointy Torpedo handle and large counterweight. ( Killer)

1939 #65 . 300yds.

Ted has taken many years to put together these superb condition reels & boxes into his collection . Thanks for sharing Ted and congratulations on a fine result.

Oceanreels

Ted,
  VERY nice group of reels.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Tightlines667

Quote from: Oceanreels on October 28, 2015, 01:29:05 AM
Ted,
  VERY nice group of reels.

X2
Ver..very nice!

Finally get to see the whole family, though I suspect this is not all of the LongBeaches in your current posession.  Those reels are in remarkably good condition.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

Ted,

If there were a beauty contest for these reels, no doubt you would be the winner.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

As good as it gets.  Ted puts in his time and has an amazing eye for those rare treasures.  I've learned a lot from him in the past year or two which is partly why my collection has grown slightly out of control. 8)
I agree Ray... that handle is a special one!
Thanks for putting Ted's finds out there for all to admire,
Dom

PS- Can we please sticky this topic... it's a seriously historically significant thread and has some awesome reels packed in it.

hrogers

Longbeach 268

garking84

My 259

Maxed Out

Wish they would have put graphite frames on all the long beach models. That 268 is a sweet reel.

Love the 259, looks like a cross between jigmaster and senator. Very nice.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

In another thread I was talking about my newest acquisition; a Long Beach 66. It has a deep main gear and has already been upgraded to a 5-stack. I bought the 66 because I already have a 68; it belonged to my dad, and I inherited it. We just commemorated the 23rd anniversary of his death, so this reel has sentimental value as well. I had this 68 in my garage (high and dry) for almost all those 23 years, and about 8 mos ago I took all the reels he had (this 68, a Jigmaster 500, a Pflueger Templar 1419 3/4 and a Pflueger Oceanic 2178) and I broke them down, cleaned them up, polished them, and reassembled). Well, 8 mos ago I hadn't yet found this site (it was while I was cleaning up these reels that I found AlanTani.com), so earlier today I broke it down again, cleaned/polished and reassembled. It's a pre-1950 model; it has the hardened steel main gear with an upgraded 5-stack (with black plastic or leather drag washers) and an orange-ish handle; no part numbers appear anywhere. Here's a view; I've become attached to the two-tone spool (the chrome from the arbor is gone).
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

If someone can tell me how to comment between photos I would appreciate it. I'll just continue with photos as replies to my original post; it'll work OK that way. I have a few questions. The first is, can anyone tell me more about this reel? Based on the color of the handle can we narrow down the year of production? I'd like to know as much about this reel as I can.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector