Conflict 8000 drags

Started by Newell Nut, December 12, 2014, 09:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Penn says it is rated at max drag of 30 lb. I have not tried the find the max but have fished it at 15 lb and have caught a lot of nice fish with no problem. One thing that I noticed was that the drags were greased with good old penn blue. I will clean and reinstall with Cals.

Opened it up to see what was inside the system today to see if I could improve on it and due to the design I don't know of anything that I can do. The CFs measure 1.3mm and have ears on them to fit in spool slots. The SS keys are 1mm.

Bryan Young

It's possible that you can put a 4 CF drag stack by changing the metal drag washers from 1 mm thick to 0.5 mm thick.

Current configuration of drag height is 6.9 mm

New Drag Configuration with 0.5 mm thick metal washers - 4 x 1.3 mm = 5.2 mm (HT-100)
                                                                                     4 x 0.5 mm = 2 mm (0.5 mm thick SS drag washers)
                                                                                              Total = 7.2 mm

I'm not sure if 0.3 mm would cause any issues.  Would need to measure this out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Dwight, why would you want to change it if you didn't even push it to its max? Each keyed washer rotates on two CF washers, the 3 washers you're showing have 5 working surfaces. Yes, I do believe with that configuration you could get it to 30lbs. Will it handle it...I don't know ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I put it all back together and I could see space under the spring groove so I put a delrin washer ( .9mm)  there and installed the spring and I could move the delrin under the spring so there is room for what Bryan said to do.

I did my dumbbell test and snatched a 15 lb one off the ground okay so that is good enough for me. The 30lb momoi diamond is about 40 lb test anyway so no worries. If we have a trip tomorrow I may get to test it on a smoker king mac. ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 12, 2014, 10:12:54 PM
I put it all back together and I could see space under the spring groove so I put a delrin washer ( .9mm)  there and installed the spring and I could move the delrin under the spring so there is room for what Bryan said to do.

I did my dumbbell test and snatched a 15 lb one off the ground okay so that is good enough for me. The 30lb momoi diamond is about 40 lb test anyway so no worries. If we have a trip tomorrow I may get to test it on a smoker king mac. ;D

Good luck on the trip!

Have you decided if you and your sons are gonna take a charter over the holidays as well?  I'm still on the fence whether to chase grouper in the gulf from my dad's boat, or hop a charter on the east side.  Guess I'll watch the weather and decide last minute, as usual.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

That's looks like an awesome stock drag stack btw. Of course Bryan and Sal are both right. Upgraded is possible but might be over kill lol. Some cals should be just fine.