Quality Screwdriver sets...suggestions?

Started by Tightlines667, December 15, 2014, 02:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I have been thinking of investing in a high quality fixed blade screwdriver set.  Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in what to get?  I'm currently using a 9 piece Great Neck and just ordered a Wheeler 58 piece micro multi piece precision set to compliment my 6 piece el cheapo tempest set.

Precision micro screwdriver sets:

Wheeler:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/WHEELER-PRECISION-MICRO-SCREWDRIVER-SET/1769638.uts?productVariantId=3778371&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=44-18494466-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03824765&rid=20

German made by: Wiha,Wera, and Witte

Swiss made:  Baumann or Ceka

Moody @ MasterCarr

As far as high quality multi piece screwdriver sets go it looks like these are good options:

The Wheeler:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/wheeler-72-pc-professional-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set?a=274603&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0106649000000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=COqIvsP5xsICFQqDfgodrhYA9g

The Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-sets/officially-licensed-nra-magna-tip-screwdriver-set-prod22300.aspx

The Chapman:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/720442/chapman-model-5503-44-piece-screwdriver-set-with-slotted-phillips-and-metric-and-sae-hex-bits?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Some fixed blade sets to consider:

Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/fixed-blade-sets/fixed-blade-screwdriver-sets-prod41573.aspx

My gunsmith friend has this set and loves them.

Grace:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Grace-USA-Gun-Care-Screwdriver-Set/739938.uts?productVariantId=1384124&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=38-12550887-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=25567001&rid=20

Foster:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=700548

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Brownells ultimate set with the Oak block -- fixed handles, hollow-ground tips, then...

The Brownell's Magna-tip set for your power drivers.

These are expensive -- and they are not for everyone -- but if you are doing a lot of Internationals, Shimanos, and other expensive reels that will not like a scratch or a goobered up screw slot -- then if you get these, you will never look back or be sorry.

When I am putting a bridge, gear, drag, and sleeve assembly into a reel -- while holding the 4 screws for the jack and yoke with my greasy fingers -- along with working around a dog -- the last thing I need is to discover is that I have the wrong tip in my screwdriver.  Thats why I like fixed handles with the right size tip and a good handle I can really control.

And the warranty and quality is so good -- you will have them all of your life.

Just like with doing gunsmithing on expensive old weapons -- you need the exact size blade, hollow-ground, good even control, no slippage to mess up an impossible to duplicate original screw.

Right tool -- for the right job.

I have every driver you listed above, and have used all of them -- and they are good.  

But Brownells has no comparison, IMO.

And for a professional, like yourself -- they look cool.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Thanks Fred.  Yea, I kinda fell in love with the set while visiting my friend's gunsmithing shop. 
Hope springs eternal

Ron Jones

While it is possible to do better than the Brownell's set, you really can't do better for the money. I really like the Craftsman solid hollow grounds but some of them seem to run slightly undersized where I've never had a Brownells not fit exactly.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

I cannot seem to get to a Brownell's site.  Are they still in business?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 15, 2014, 06:19:12 PM
I cannot seem to get to a Brownell's site.  Are they still in business?

Brian,

Absolutely.  However, most of their screwdrivers are currently out of stock and on back order.  Here's the link to their homepage:

http://www.brownells.com
Hope springs eternal

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Brownells without a doubt has the best set of driving tools out there. I have had my set for 38 years. All of there tools are Superior as far as I am concerned,however I'm referencing gun smith tools,not that reels are a great deal different especially when it comes to marring the heads of screws.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Yikes!
$163 for a screwdriver set? :o
If you guys say they are the best. I'm sure they are. Guys like Fred and John are master reel repairmen.
They definitely need the best. ;)
I'll stick with my black and decker lithium driver and craftsmen screwdrivers for now. ;D
Life is Good!

handi2

I did not open your links but I use the Wiha or however its spelled soft grip screw driver sets. If your hands are greasy they still grip fine with the soft grip. The heads have never broken or chipped after 2 years of using them.

Here they are and they are made by Felo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012CRXU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Comming from a Telecom background I really like and use Klein cushion grip screwdrivers, I also use many of their other tools but if your not a electrician, telecom tech or into installing data networks alot of their other tools may not be for you.

As far as the cushion grip drivers go their very nice with larger then normal rubber grips, which offers more torque on hard screws to move, also they have heat treated tips that are very hard. If th screw wont move you don't have to worry about messing up the drivers tip as they hold their shape better than any driver I have used. Even their mimiature drivers have larger than normal grip when you purchase their mini cushion grip set. This makes removing those tiny screws with lock tight on them much easier.  

EDIT: Here is a pic of my mini cushion grip set. For me I have not needed any more mini drivers for reels or other small screws I use them on.

Reel 224

You also referenced Chapmans set. I have one as well and it has helped me out when I had really tight screws to loosen. Brownells also has tork sets that are great for screws that have to be set at a particular inch pound setting.

Good tools are not cheap,but when they are worth the money in tight situations they are worth every penny. Everyone has there preferences, I would go with the pro's advice. Not saying I'm the pro. but that is how I came to buying my tools. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

George4741

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 16, 2014, 12:36:50 AM

Yikes!
$163 for a screwdriver set? :o

Daron, you can buy a drill press for that amount. ;)
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

George,
My father in law has two. I need to get over there. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Most of you probably already know the difference between "Precise-Size Hollow Ground" screwdrivers -- and "General-Size Tapered" screwdrivers.

Here is an illustration:

As a rule, a tapered screwdriver will do just fine for screws that are already greased, reels that are serviced regularly, or in other words -- about 90% of the time.

Where a hollow ground blade of the proper size really pays off -- is on salt encrusted reels, older reels that have not been broken down for years, if ever -- and reels such as Internationals, Tiagas, Accurates, Everols, etc..  But for me, even on a cheap reel -- I do not want a taper to slip and mess up a screw slot.  Not the end of the world -- just unacceptable for me.

Another hint that many of you probably already practice:

When breaking down a reel, and using a power driver -- always break the screw loose manually first -- either with a fixed blade screwdriver, or by rotating your power driver manually before engaging the motor.  This prevents a slip on start-up, a messed up screw head, or a scratch to the side of a reel in the case of a stuck screw.  Power drivers save me a ton of time and effort -- but only when the screw is already loose.

On the Brownell's set, or another high quality set -- there are only about 6 of 20 drivers I use for 90% of my jobs.  The other ones are used for odd reels, special screws, weapons, etc.  But since I have them, and take the time to match the head to the slot -- I generally eliminate 99% of potential screw slot ruining issues.

The only two times I have had an issue with these drivers, was with a tip when attached to a power screwdriver.  In these cases, a call to Brownell's resulted in a new tip UPSed within 3 days -- at no charge -- and no need to send the other driver back to them -- they just took my word for it -- and stepped up to handle the issue with no drama.  This after 5 years in one case, and three in another.  That is the beauty of dealing with a well established 75 year old company that does business the old fashioned way -- very refreshing in this day and age of world-wide corporations that change names and products every 6 months.

Currently the drivers average a little over $8.00 each, if bought in a set -- plus the oak block which is very convenient and attractive.

Like I say -- not for everyone -- just a personal choice and opinion.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.