12/0 budget build

Started by Shark Hunter, December 15, 2014, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'll let you on a little trick Sal. There is a sponginess factor when you sit all these in there. After greasing everything up with Cals, put the star on and tighten it down. It will push that last eared washer flush.
After sitting like that for a few minutes. It will stay down. I also make my id on the cf's real tight and
always use the steel gear if I have it.
Daron
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yes I know about the squeeze factor buddy ;), that's how these were measured. It doesn't really matter, that last cf washer isn't doing much but taking up space. Even numbers don't work on drags with that configuration, different story with the versa-drag system or our custom hex. I also like steel gears and if I had them, I would always use them in my reels, but I believe the bronze gears from the 10/0 and up will do just fine. :-\
This is why I still grab them when I can ;D

This is still good what you've showed us, now you could add a carbon fiber on top of the last eared and a keyed. With these reels, you should still have enough room for a Delrin washer.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

crackerman

I made up three thinner stainless washers out of  .045 stock. (One eared, 2 keyed) With stock thickness ht100 carbons, was able to make a 9 stack with a delrin washer on top. Without the belleville and another pair of .045 washers as spacers, makes all useable washers for my 12/0. It is smooth as silk and powerful as i feel comfortable Pulling on, while leaving room for full travel on the star wheel. It barely drags all the way backed off and is in full bind before it bottoms out on the chrome ring. I just wish i had a steel gear to stick em all in!

Shark hunter, the picture you posted with the 8 stack .120 and eared washer sitting flush, you should be able to stack another keyed washer and delrin on it, then shim it up to the star wheel and make 9?

Shark Hunter

Cracker,
I was just trying to do something different. Even with just the stock seven stack, this reel is a lot to hold on to locked down. A seven foot shark grabbing the bait and running when you are not expecting it, will almost rip the rod from your hands. This reel in stock form can handle a big fish! I mean BIG!
After seeing John reel in that 12 foot Hammer. I have new respect for this reel in stock form with upgraded drags.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You did good Daron, we know that we can make anything work by using different thickness, whether with the metal washers or carbon fiber washers, you proved that the stock metal washers and the 1.20mm carbon fiber will give you 1+9. Using thicker washers is important on these.
The 10/0  or 12/0 usually have two metal washers on top, plus the heavy tension washer. I know this because I have a few 10/0's  ;),
I don't see any problem installing 1+9 as you're showing yours.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I Gave this reel to my Son on Christmas Day. I mounted it to a Penn International 80 to 100 rod. Not knocking his 900H. I will just feel easier with the 12/0 hooked up to a Big One! ;)
We went to his House. It was a welcome change instead oh Having My House Full. ;D
My Mom, My son and Me fixing to head out. The rod is on the couch. This probably isn't the appropriate spot for this picture, but its pretty rare to see all three of us smiling. ;D
Life is Good!

broadway

Daron,
   Nice to see 3 generations of smiling family members around the tree during the holidays. Oops, looks like 4 if you count the pooch :)
I'm sure your boy knows about your passion for making monsters from simple fishing reels, but does he know he now owns Godzilla?!
What Senator is that in the background?
I think this photo caps off this build thread perfectly!
Well done bro... Keep it in the family  ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Nice pic! Keeping it in the family, way to go pal ;). I'm sure your Son will pass it over to his son one day...very nice.
Sal

Shark Hunter

Its a 6/0 on the safe. There is a 9/0 with the accurate frame on the other side, but the cards are hiding it. When my boy was first born, I have a picture of 5 generations. ;)
Life is Good!