Okuma Metaloid Drag Issue

Started by MattT21, December 15, 2014, 10:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattT21

I have been in the market for a new small lever drag reel. The other day I came across the Metaloid in my local shop. Very nice looking reel, and feels really solid. One thing I noticed while messing with the drag is that it do not start to add resistance until the lever was approximately 3/4 of the way to strike. Correct me if I am wrong but the drag should slowly ramp up through the whole range of the lever. I also found a post on Bloody decks stating the same problem. Below is the post taken from Bloody Decks.
QuoteI was just able to pick up a metaloid 5s, and an okuma andros 5s for comparison.

the metaloid and andros had a price gap of $100. both look very similar on the outside. but the metaloid was lacking in many ways that the andros was not. metaloid does NOT have instant anti reverse (andros does). metaloid had back-winding due to anti reverse slipping (maybe manf faulty). and what i REALLY did NOT like was that i set the drag to 8lbs at strike on both reels. i did a freespool test and both were about the same. then i tested the drag at 1/4 strike, 1/2 strike and 3/4 strike..... the andros came in with appropriate drags for each test. BUT THE METALOID COMPLETELY FAILED. at ALL THREE adjustment settings... the reel was STILL IN FREESPOOL. i'm going to have a talk to okuma customer service about this. just wanted to give a heads up to you guys though. check the drags and anti reverse before you buy it.

I contacted Okuma regarding this and they said that the reel is made to be fished at 15lbs at strike. Any preset below 15lbs and you are going to lose drag range below strike. Is this normal, or is it a design flaw?

day0ne

It all depends upon the design of the drag cam and what the designer wanted it to do. The drag will only slowly ramp up if that is what it was designed to do. Look at reels like the Torsa that have a variety of available drag cams for different fishing situations. Avet has optional cams also.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

handi2

Does it not have a pre set dial to adjust the drag setting? Put it in freespool and turn the dial 1/2 turn and check. Go another 1/2 turn if needed to achieve the drag you need. Then go back to freespool and see if in fact you have any freespool.

I looked it up and the specs are 15lbs at strike with freespool. 24lbs max drag. You can set the strike at 15lbs and move the lever to full when fighting the fish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

maxpowers

Quote from: handi2 on December 16, 2014, 12:57:43 AM
Does it not have a pre set dial to adjust the drag setting? Put it in freespool and turn the dial 1/2 turn and check. Go another 1/2 turn if needed to achieve the drag you need. Then go back to freespool and see if in fact you have any freespool.

Handi2,

the drag cam is set so that you really have to fish at strike except for higher drag like 12+ lbs.  If you want to fish 4-8 lbs drag but want to have the ability to back of the drag a bit you really can't because as soon as uou are a little bit less than syrike the reel start to go into freespool.

MarkT

That was my experience too. Drag behaves more like a star than a leverdrag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

maxpowers

With the sleeved spool shaft, I was able to increase the drag to almost 17 lbs before losing free spool.  What is interesting is that the drag curve also improved.  I was able to dial down the drag to less than .5 lbs at strike and still have .125 or so of drag as 1/3 strike.  The sleeve definitely made a difference.

MattT21

What is the process to add the spool shaft sleeve?

maxpowers

i posted the process in the topic on the metaloid spool sleeve.