are you lazy

Started by wallacewt, December 16, 2014, 04:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

got a reel in an ice cream bucket,in pieces,parts missing and broken bits
same fella has done it a few times before,no more!or i double the price
finnor ma12 and my ma20.both singles(photo)
there were parts in the reel that were not even reel parts
it had me beat so i was going to post on here for some answers.but
i decided against it.in fact i hope i never ask another question
ive been on here long enough to work it out myself.
i remembered what john tuttle said,get the schematics,study,and you will learn
or words to that effect,how true.
anyhow a long story short, i pulled mine apart, put his back together, at the same time
went piece for piece.it worked,his reel is correct except for the
broken replacement bits.i gave it a service.
after 3yrs(?)my ma20 needed nothing,drop of oil,spray of inox,bita grease.
i feel like a doc that just cured cancer,thanks everyone.
no more laziness.

bluefish69

I'm normally lazy. Some is caused by my Doctor & the BP Meds that he gives me, slows my heart to control my BP. I enjoy fixing reels that I know but when a different one shows I don't like it.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

wallacewt

haha! there is no cure for that mike :D

alantani

sometimes, when i know a reel is going to be bad, it takes me a while to get started, too!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on December 16, 2014, 05:03:36 AM
sometimes, when i know a reel is going to be bad, it takes me a while to get started, too!

I kinda do the same thing, but usually try to get the worst one done first.  I like working on a reel, I'm not familiar with... It's kinda like opening a present, full of surprises.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

The last BIG international took 8 hours. :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

I'm relatively new to this site and much more experienced in gun work then reel repair, but I really don't view laziness with asking questions on how to do something,as in no question is a dumb one. Also giving a really tough repair some times requires time to think it out before jumping head first into it.

Just another lazy mans opinion. ;D 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

redsetta

Nice work Wallace - know exactly what you mean ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

johndtuttle

heheh  ;D

It's a fine line and I would encourage others to always ask when they come across a stumper. Hahah I just helped a brother in law pull some stumps out of his front yard so now I know what the origins of that term are.

You dig and trim roots, dig some more and trim some more. Then you get a "come along" winch and you think the whole dang thing is gonna explode in your face but then...out they come. No Dynamite required :D.

So when you are "stumped" you have a very stubborn problem that has to be attacked in small bites and patience. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Schematics are notoriously hard to decipher, seemingly fitting the needs of the artist more than anyone needing them to figure anything out or the proper order or orientation of parts...But when you can look at a schematic and understand every part and remember how it goes then you understand quite a bit and it is rewarding in it's own way. Hey, some people do crossword puzzles.

Good on 'ya wally, a challenge overcome is it's own reward.  ;)

tristan

This hobby is way more fun than crossword puzzles!

Aiala

I have a feeling that laziness is my default state, except when I become focused on (obsessed) with a task, whereupon time stops and I tune out the world until it's done or I exhaust myself.  :P

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Reel 224

Quote from: Aiala on March 23, 2015, 07:03:25 PM
I have a feeling that laziness is my default state, except when I become focused on (obsessed) with a task, whereupon time stops and I tune out the world until it's done or I exhaust myself.  :P

~A~

Sounds a lot like my wife.  ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mike1010

The great sci-fi writer Robert Heinlein wrote something to the effect, "Progress doesn't come from the early risers, but from the lazy people looking for an easier way to do things."  He wrote that before he went off the deep end in the sixties, as I recall.  I could probably get the exact quote and date from a web search, but I'm too lazy.