SS screws for Penn reels

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Much favor torx over hex. Have spun out hex but never torx. Good job.....GB

CooldadE

Quote from: CooldadE on January 12, 2015, 03:39:16 PM
I tried to use unmodified screws on a Jigmaster for the Bridge/yoke and it wouldn't disengage. After chucking the screw up in drill press an filing the correct amount of threads away it worked fine.

Cool

The way I modified the bridge/ yoke screws was to buy longer screws than are needed. I threaded two nuts down to the correct height locking them. Then chucked the portruding threaded section of the screw in my drill press filing the threads off down to the two locked nuts. Once threads are gone I removed one nut then used my Dremel to cut screw to length. Then removed the last nut chasing the threads. Screw is ready to go. It's not really fast but it is satisfying...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Islandgypsy

Tight lines can weigh in here..Penn used to fasten Internationals with chrome plated brass screws.. SS  T-15 were conceived in reel heaven ;D....GB

BMITCH

Quote from: CooldadE on January 13, 2015, 07:54:26 AM
I tried to use unmodified screws on a Jigmaster for the Bridge/yoke and it wouldn't disengage. After chucking the screw up in drill press an filing the correct amount of threads away it worked fine.

Cool

The way I modified the bridge/ yoke screws was to buy longer screws than are needed. I threaded two nuts down to the correct height locking them. Then chucked the portruding threaded section of the screw in my drill press filing the threads off down to the two locked nuts. Once threads are gone I removed one nut then used my Dremel to cut screw to length. Then removed the last nut chasing the threads. Screw is ready to go. It's not really fast but it is satisfying...

Cool

That's a really good idea! I like that for chasing the thread. Thanks for sharing.
luck is the residue of design.

txangler81

ok what is the difference in 18-8 stainless steel and 316 stainless steel

Thanks
Dustin

mike1010

Cool

I'm going through some of this on a couple of reels (Jigmaster and Surfmaster), and have some questions.  Thanks in advance for any information.

What did you use to replace the bridge screws?  A McMaster part number or link would be perfect, but just knowing the thread dimensions would be a big help.

Has anyone done anything to replace the slotted, flat-head screws under the right side plate on these reels?  McMaster does have socket flat-had stainless machine screws.  Is 82 degrees the right countersink angle on the reels?  http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=vlgt3f

BTW, I didn't have an old handle to sacrifice to cut the handle lock screws, but the screw cutter in my wire stripper worked fine for that and for the reel stand screws.  Pretty small screws, and pretty soft stainless, I guess.

CooldadE

Quote from: mike1010 on January 23, 2015, 10:13:08 PM

Cool

I'm going through some of this on a couple of reels (Jigmaster and Surfmaster), and have some questions.  Thanks in advance for any information.

What did you use to replace the bridge screws?  A McMaster part number or link would be perfect, but just knowing the thread dimensions would be a big help.

Has anyone done anything to replace the slotted, flat-head screws under the right side plate on these reels?  McMaster does have socket flat-had stainless machine screws.  Is 82 degrees the right countersink angle on the reels?  http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=vlgt3f

BTW, I didn't have an old handle to sacrifice to cut the handle lock screws, but the screw cutter in my wire stripper worked fine for that and for the reel stand screws.  Pretty small screws, and pretty soft stainless, I guess.

Mike, The screws I used for the bridge in my Jigmasters and 112H reels were the McMaster 92196A131 for the full threaded one (3/4") and the 92196A132 (1 1/4") for the one that needs to be modified to remove the threads in the upper .4040 (approx.) section  toward the cap. I needed the extra length to thread a couple of nuts in screw and chuck in drill press to remove said threads.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

mike1010

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 23, 2015, 10:46:14 PM
Here is the link for the screws http://www.mcmaster.com/#92185a134/=vlhayr

As for the slotted. No the 82 degree heads won't fit. I think I found some screws that will fit but they have to be cut to size

That link does not go to the right screws.  The bridge screws are heavier than 5-40, but are neither 6-32 or 8-32.  I will make a run to home depot and figure that out.  Also, they are closer to 7/10 than 3/8 long.

Cutting screws is no problem.  What did you find?

Thanks again.  We will figure this out.

mike1010

Quote from: CooldadE on January 23, 2015, 11:01:22 PM

Mike, The screws I used for the bridge in my Jigmasters and 112H reels were the McMaster 92196A131 for the full threaded one (3/4") and the 92196A132 (1 1/4") for the one that needs to be modified to remove the threads in the upper .4040 (approx.) section  toward the cap. I needed the extra length to thread a couple of nuts in screw and chuck in drill press to remove said threads.

Cool

5-40 looks right.  Thanks.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sorry that is the size for the side plate screw. The bridge screw is size 6-40

Shark Hunter

At the start of this post, these screws were only meant for the outer sideplate of Jigmasters and Long beach reels. They will probably work on Surfmasters as well, but the bridge screws are still stock. Shiftee is using a different reel and screws all together.
Lets not confuse the members watching us.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

I'm using 5-40X3/4 for the bridge screws. The two that go through the clutch springs I just file the unused portion of the threads halfway down to the shank so the springs don't bind.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Cone

I'm  sure the bridge screws are 6-40. I welded up a ss jigmaster bridge and retapped to 6-40 to fit my 112h.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

fIsHsTiiCkS

The bridge screws are definitely 6-40. When I first set out to get bridge screws I contacted Penn and asked them. They confirmed it was 6-40