Old penn 200

Started by Reel 224, December 19, 2014, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

You guys are dating yourselves with these old tricks,weather you realize it or not. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

No, I made a spacer not long ago, maybe two weeks ago ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 20, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
You guys are dating yourselves with these old tricks,weather you realize it or not. 
Hahaha.  I still see incident reports of this mainly from the mid-west of homes that have not yet been updated electrically.  I also see incident report where open wire are still running in attics and people get electrocuted by touching them.  I haven't been around when they were done, but am young enough to still see the incident reports. :(
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

There are still lots of homes here in the eastern side of the state with fuse boxes, It's always a nightmare when I do renovations. I have to deal with fuses and Knob and tubing. ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Our house has exposed wire and ceramic posts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

When I was young. That's before dirt, ::) We lived in a home with fuze box and exposed wire and a Coal stove to cook on as well as supply heat. I know some old barns in our area are still that way as far as electricity is concerned. Tell ya the truth I miss those old days.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 20, 2014, 11:52:18 PM
When I was young. That's before dirt, ::) We lived in a home with fuze box and exposed wire and a Coal stove to cook on as well as supply heat. I know some old barns in our area are still that way as far as electricity is concerned. Tell ya the truth I miss those old days.
Me too ;). In the winter I still make my breakfast on the wood burning stove every weekends in the back room;D.

Knob and tubing is actually safe, as long as you don't mess with it. Here they're now pushing homeowners to rewire the hole house or they won't insure it. :-\ It isn't cheap.

Keta

At one time in my life the State of Alaska accused me of being an electrician and I have enough Romex too do the job.  As long as things are left alone bare wires and ceramic posts are safe.   My barn is all in ridged conduit and wired 12ga and 8ga THHN wire.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 19, 2014, 06:46:38 PM
SS Gear Sleeve ~ $23 shipped - Alan/Bryan
5+1 Drag Kit ~ $27 shipped - Bryan/Alan
SS Dog ~ $3 plus shipping - Lee/Alan/Bryan
SS Handle Arm ~ $13 plus shipping - Alan/Bryan
3/0 Handle ~ $27 plus shipping - Alan/Bryan
Pro Challenger Spacing Sleeve ~ $3.75 available at www.mkt.com/pro-challenger-llc

I was going to start with the Pro Challenger Spacing Sleeve since it was the only item that I couldn't get here. Went to there site and they mention three different lengths. Is there a standard for the Surfmaster 200? I haven't taken the reel down to parts yet,simply because I don't want to leave it that way for a long period of time and possibly loose something or forget what the heck I was doing. I'm now building a new Rod for the lady in my life so that takes presidents over everything else,got to keep my wife happy. ;D

Update: I measured the sleeve today and the nearest they have at Pro Challenger is a 10.47mm which should work fine,the stock one in the reel is 10.27mm.

Reel 224

I took this picture today after cleaning up the Surfmaster 200.

foakes

Beautiful job, 224 --

That turned out like new.

Those old 100, 150, 200, and 250 Surfmasters are really excellent reels -- especially with the thumb screw head side to quickly change out a spool when the line gets messed up during a hot bite.

Thanks for showing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Thanks Fred coming from you and seeing your work: It's a well taken complement. We are going to our Dentist after the holidays for our general exams and I told my wife while we are there I'm going to see if he can hook me up with an Ultra sonic cleaner, he is an avid saltwater fisherman as well. ;)

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 21, 2014, 12:32:50 PM

Is there a standard for the Surfmaster 200?

It depends on how your drag stack is set up.  Try to get some used dental picks too.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Yep, today it isn't easy to answer that question for the size of the spacer, there are too many options.

If you replace the washers and keep the configuration as the original, the 12.50mm will do.
If you use Bryan's 5 washers kit, the 12.50mm could work but you will need to use the stock tension spring and not the belleville, the 11.50mm would come handy if you use the belleville.
If you use Lee's insert, the 12.50mm should also work .

Since these sleeves fit most reels, from the 9 to the 113, it is a good idea for you to grab some of each. Those will help, especially if you cut your own washers, or if you get the deeper gears from Prochallenger.
The size available are: 10.50mm - 11.50mm - 12.50mm....all are useful.

Did I confuse you yet? ;D...basically, play with different combinations and see what works best for you. I like all my reels to start soft, some don't.
Good luck!

Sal