Old penn 200

Started by Reel 224, December 19, 2014, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Not confused  ??? well maybe a little..the stock sleeve measured 12.50, so if I go with the parts that Bryan suggested would that mean that I need a shorter sleeve then the stock one, there measurements were 10.47, 11.50,12.50. Not sure what the new style drag stack would measure compared to the stock stack. It would seam that at this point I need to measure the stock drag stack and then know the new stack height to determine the length of sleeve. Or in the sequence of parts that Bryan mentioned is there other factors that change that distance? I hope I splained that right :o ???   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on December 22, 2014, 08:39:30 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on December 21, 2014, 12:32:50 PM

Is there a standard for the Surfmaster 200?

It depends on how your drag stack is set up.  Try to get some used dental picks too.

The dental picks I have from doing my gun work. This measurement for drag stacks I haven't determine yet. I have no idea what the new stack would measure.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Stick with the 12.5. The stack can be rearranged to fit. You can do it Buddy. ;)
Don't get overwhelmed. Take it as you go. ;) One step at a time. ;D
When I came here, I didn't know squat. Pay attention to these guys.
They won't steer you wrong. :)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 23, 2014, 12:19:55 AM

The dental picks I have from doing my gun work. This measurement for drag stacks I haven't determine yet. I have no idea what the new stack would measure.
Neither do we ;D. As I mentioned earlier, there are lots of options. Get the parts and listen to the reel, it will let you know what you need to do.
For instants, if the star is bottoming out...hitting the right side bushing, you will need a longer spacer. If your star doesn't have much travel, you will need a shorter spacer. I'm sure you'll figure it out on your own, if not, we're here to help.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Thank you guys. I wasn't trying to make a mountain from a mole hill, some times I tend to over kill or over analyze things.

I will always listen to advice. The thing that upsets me is when you are trying to explain something to someone that has asked a question and they say. "I know,I know" Well if ya know the answer;Why the heck did you ask me. ::)

My daddy always said. ("open yer ears,close yer mouth and open yer mind"). you'll learn a lot more that way son. ;) 

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 23, 2014, 04:54:12 PMI will always listen to advice. The thing that upsets me is when you are trying to explain something to someone that has asked a question and they say. "I know,I know" Well if ya know the answer;Why the heck did you ask me. ::)

I know.... ;D

You can always shorten the longer SS spacer with a sharpening stone too.  I like my reels set up with little star travel.  I try for zero to very slight pressure on the stack with the star backed out all of the way.  Another way to adjust this is with keyed spacer washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 23, 2014, 04:54:12 PM
"Open yer ears, close yer mouth and open yer mind."

Indeed, just so. Or, as a wise person once told me when I very much needed to hear it: "Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth."  :-X
~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 23, 2014, 04:54:12 PM
Thank you guys. I wasn't trying to make a mountain from a mole hill, some times I tend to over kill or over analyze things.
Don't ever get the feeling that you're bothering us with your questions, I can speak for all of us, we don't mind one bit. That's what we're here for.

I could see that it gets a little confusing at times, the reason is that we're constantly trying to change things for the better ...or worse ;D.
It should all iron out soon, maybe in another 20 years from now ;D. I might not be around by then to see it :(  ;D.
Don't hold back ask any question any time.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 23, 2014, 07:19:08 PM
Don't ever get the feeling that you're bothering us with your questions, I can speak for all of us, we don't mind one bit. That's what we're here for.

Yup!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Thanks again guys. I was just explaining my nature of how and why. Ill be asking many questions in the future, this reel repair and modification is fairly new to me. I have done Gun alterations and modifications for some 38 years or more, and still learn new things. We all can learn from each other.

Me I love to tinker with things and try to improve them, that's what makes a place like this fun to come to. 

MarkT

There's a lot of 'Guests' viewing that probably have those same questions but are afraid to ask.  I always figure that both questions and answers are for a larger audience.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

We will all try to do our best to answer any questions -- and you will likely do the same.

The only "dumb" question -- is the one not asked.

All the best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.