Drag

Started by sharkman, December 15, 2014, 04:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

Quote from: MarkT on December 16, 2014, 03:45:59 AM
My feet left the bottom and I started floating in the Dead Sea when I got chest deep. The water is buoyant and the air thick down there. Fortunately, the beer is cold at the worlds lowest bar!

World's lowest bar?  That's quite a claim.  I've been in some pretty raunchy places, and none on the Dead Sea.  (Sorry, I just had to.)

cathauler65

Quote from: fsrmn on December 15, 2014, 10:58:20 PM
Not to disagree with anyone but a gallon of water is 8.34 lbs. That is the number we use for calculations at work. I am a licensed water treatment plant operator.

In the interest of specifics:

The weight will vary some with the temperature of the water.  To
begin, we know that by definitions,

1 gallon = 231 in^3*(2.54 cm/in)^4/(1 cm^3/ml),
           = 3785.411784 ml,

exactly. Now it is just a matter of multiplying by the density d in
g/ml of water at the temperature you want, and then converting to
pounds by dividing by exactly 453.59237 g/lb. Thus the answer to 12
significant figures is

1 gallon of water weighs 8.34540445202*d pounds.

Sorry guys, I was working on (bigger & better) Imperial Gallons (= 1.20095 US Gallons). Forgot you guys have your own system of measurement over there.

Reel 224

My way of measuring drag...Set the drag and pull on the line flexing the rod and adjust so it slips when it feels right. ;D Always worked for me. ::)
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

fsrmn

I also set the drag by feel. I find that I set the drag a bit tighter with the delrin in the stack due to the less friction on the start. I fish a looser drag than most because I like to extend the fight as long as possible. Only if it starts to spool me or heads for structure do I crank it down. After the fight it's all work till it hits the fork. ;)
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Keta

For lever drag reels a drag scale is important, especially when fishing on the high end of the drag scale.  Scales are cheep.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on December 18, 2014, 11:01:23 PM
For lever drag reels a drag scale is important, especially when fishing on the high end of the drag scale.  Scales are cheep.

I agree.  But I must admit, I need a scale that goes over 50lbs and a better method of testing the upper max drag limits on these larger class lever drag reels.  When finalizing the service/fine tuning spacing I typically am only able to measure the max effective drag (w/o mounting to a rod) at 'strike'.  I recently ran into a reel that performed flawlessly until it really heated up, and was worked at near full drag on a larger fish.  I may have caught the slightly warped inner drag plate, and slightly oblong drag disc that only caused drag surge when hot and at high settings.  May need a cum along pullu system and a ridgid mount to really test upper limits.  The criticle point in a battle with a monster 'money'/tournament fish is not the time to discover problems on a freshly serviced high end big game reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on December 18, 2014, 11:01:23 PM

I'm glad this topic is here, I really would like to know how this procedure is done with the reel being set up on the rod for one. And what type of scale do you use. I just purchased a reel with lever drag and would want to adjust it properly. For that matter I would like to set up all of my reels that way just to see how much improvement it will make in my fishing.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."