Strong and small

Started by sharkman, December 20, 2014, 10:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I'm looking for small conventional reel that will serve as multi-purpose. The diawa saltist 30 caught my eye due to drag strength and small size. At full drag the reel puts out 22 lbs. The only thing stopping is I'm a penn guy. Is there a modified penn that would fit the bill. The saltist 30 is about the size of Peerless 9.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

fIsHsTiiCkS

If we are talking modified Penns, then my vote is the jigmaster. 3 different sizes and once modified definitely hard to beat. My FAVORITE reel! If looking more modern then definitely the fathom.

Keta

Although I love my Jigmasters and Surfmasters and use them most of the time I'd suggest either a Penn Fathom FTH15 or a FTH25N.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

The FTH25N is a beauty! I'm getting the 2 speed version soon.

Keta

I have both, the star drag one has been converted to 4.9:1.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

You may want to look at the Canyon reel line that Hot Rod sells The 15 is compact and strong and a beautiful reel. I just purchased one for the rod I'm building for my wife. I am really impressed with this reel. Dynamite comes in a small package!! ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

FatTuna

The international 12 is a beauty.

BMITCH

How about the release reels. They look bullet proof!
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

Hey Sharkman --

Being a Penn guy also, I understand -- but consider this:

Shimano Triton TLD-5

Small, tough as they come, parts still available, simple and bullet-proof.

Cannot figure out why Shimano discontinued this little reel?

Same basic components as the larger TLDs -- just smaller package -- just as tough as the rest of the TLD family.

I have caught more Salmon and other large fish on these little reels -- then anything else -- usually out of Moss, Santa Cruz, Monterey, or Morro Bay.

These tough little reels are sleepers.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I would like to get my hands on one of the Bigger Triton's. Mainly the 50 wide.
Life is Good!

MarkT

Those old TLD-5's were great. Nice linear drag. They were popular with those looking for a light line record.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

Here are two pictures of the Canyon HS 15.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Capt Ahab

That Canyon is a Sweet Reel

Just picked up about 6 Fin Nor Marquesa reels - very nice for teh price

i would look at Avets or Accurate Reels as well