stainless jigmaster ring/ tiburon frame with rings..

Started by jigmaster501, December 21, 2014, 03:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

With the difficulties now with the new jigmaster handle sideplate rings not fitting on older jigmaster sideplates, I was wondering if we could have stainless rings made so we could have permanent ring for our older jigmasters.

Finding older not tarnishing right sideplate rings will be a challenge soon so having a stainless rings waiting for us at home would be a good idea when our sideplate rings start to go.

How much do you guys think it would cost to make a solid stainless ring for the right side plate????

Was also wondering if Tiburon could make a frame for the jigmasters that didn't need the sideplate rings at all. That would be the best bet but I  don't know if Rich would go for it....

Just thinking out loud.... Any thoughts?????

Alto Mare

Jigmaster 501, you've mentioned two different materials, stainless is one thing and the aluminum frames is another.
I'm hoping that one day we will get a Jigmaster in full stainless steel, some have been working on it to see if it could be done. Let me correct myself, we know it could be done, they're trying to find a way to make them affordable to all.
Rothmar2 did an amazing job on machining stainless steel rings for his reel, would it be possible for others? absolutely.
We've discussed stainless steel rings a while back, before Rothmar2 did his. If they would happen, they would probably be pressed and not machined, but I leave that to the pros.
Keep in mind, custom parts take a while before they're brought to us.
I requested some custom parts for one of my reels, they have that reel  for almost three years now, I do not have a problem with it, I already know that it could take a while.

On another note: what is the problem with your plate not fitting? is the thumb screw not lining up? I've seen it before when using an older ring and a newer plate, or vice versa.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

I have been looking for a Jigmaster out here to do this to. Hopefully will get my hands on one shortly.
I would also like to do this to a Silver Beach, but with all the great history getting put on the forum recently....I may be committing sacrelige.
I think I'll stick with doing the JM, with all the stainless good gear from Alan C.

jigmaster501

Sal, everyone is having that problem with new rings.

It would be nice to have lifetime stainless rings that we could just maintain and let someone else figure out how to sell when we are dead.

Rothmar 2, if you can make it happen with stainless rings or a 2 piece ringless frame, it would be nice.....

Three se7ens

Ive got too much on my plate to do it, but stamping rings could be done with just a die set and a hydraulic press.  Get the blanks cut from sheet metal, and use the die to roll the lip.  The hardest part is the die will have to be made from tool steel and professionally hardened to last with stainless.

alantani

it is something that i have wished for for a very long time!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

This has been talked about a while back, looks like most have too much going on at the moment. :-\ I should have been a machinist, i'm now too old and broke to learn ::).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

Jigmaster501, I would be happy to make you one, but I'm on the other side of the Pacific from you.
I have been looking for a JM to buy over here so I have the parts to work from, but ones on EBay locally are overpriced (IMO). I have considered buying one from EBay US, but I have been outbid on a few that I've bothered to bid on, and then postage to Australia for items like complete reels is getting expensive.
If there is someone here in Australia who would like a 316 SS ring for their JM, send me the side plate and I'll make yourself one, one for JM501, and I'll maybe knock up a few more. Unfortunately I'm back to work this Friday, but will be home again early March. Can get onto this project after that. But in order to start, I really need a reel or a sideplate and ring to work from.
I know Robert Jansen suggested lathe spinning as a method to produce these. For the time being, I will stick with making the first few fully machined as per the 6/0 thread.

Thoughts people?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Hey Rothmar2,

You have given a lot to the site and it's been great reading your work on here. I have a complete jigmster I can send you. All you have to do to pay for postage and the reel is yours. Let me know!

Black Pearl

I might be able to have my other resource to produce that ring in 316 SS.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 28, 2015, 05:37:19 PM
I might be able to have my other resource to produce that ring in 316 SS.

That's would be awesome!

Alto Mare

He tells you guys yes, last year he told me no, he didn't think so :-\. I was also trying to get the stand in stainless steel. I'm sure you guys figured it out by now, I was trying to get the Jigmaster done with a complete stainless steel conversion. We are getting close, but not quite there yet. Well, almost complete conversion, I'm ok with the stock plates, I like those better than the aluminum plates and the stainless steel might be too costly. Alan is checking on those as well though....we'll see.

Sal

Rothmar2

Seeing as I can make these parts while I'm at work, I only have to cover cost for material and postage. My time is already been paid.
Thanks for the offer Fishticks, I may take you up on this when I get back. But I really only need a sideplate and a ring to work from.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 28, 2015, 08:24:25 PM
Seeing as I can make these parts while I'm at work, I only have to cover cost for material and postage. My time is already been paid.
Thanks for the offer Fishticks, I may take you up on this when I get back. But I really only need a sideplate and a ring to work from.

No problem, just let me know when you want it or if you just want the side plate and right.

mhc

Hi Rothmar, As luck would have it I am in AUS and have a spare functional Jigmaster 500 (same rings as 501) you could borrow for how ever long you need it. PM your address and I'll send it.
Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.