Diawa 50H

Started by seapacer, December 21, 2014, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seapacer

Hello All,

I'm new to this site and already have learned a lot, Thanks Everyone!!

I have (4) of these older Diawa 50H reels that I use all the time, I've caught more fish of these reels than all of my other reels put together.  I need to do a little upgrading and maintenance on them, so I have purchased the Penn drag washers that were recommended by Alan in his tutorial.  But I have run into a little problem, I have attached a couple of photos that show the drag washer stack and the sequence in which all the components go.  I have noticed that the new Penn washers are a lot thicker than the originals also there is five (5) fiber washers in between the steel washers.  In the photo attached the new Penn washers are the ones in a line below the original Diawa drag stack.  Are these the correct washers for this application if not what is the recommended washers I need to use.

Thanks, Mark     

Bryan Young

Those will be just fine.  The washers will not go anywhere once the are I  the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

seapacer

Bryan,

In the top photo, you see the in the upper row the original drag stack, below that are the new Penn Washers.   I believe that the smaller one on the far left (bottom row) goes behind the main gear and that leaves me 3 new Penn Washers.  I have 5 fibers, do I need to eliminate some to make it a 3-stack drag because I don't have enough fibers?

Thanks, Mark

Bryan Young

Hi Mark,

Oh, I see it now.  You have a different Sealine 50H.  The one in Alan's tutorial is the one that comes with an aluminum frame.

Do you have the dimensions of the drag washers in your reel?

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

seapacer

Bryan,

Please see the attached drawing of the fiber drag washers that I have in my Diawa,  this reel also has a aluminum housing, the model number is 50HSD, looks just like the one in the tutorial but the internal components are a little different.  I have 5 fiber and 5 steel washers in the main drag stack.

Thanks, Mark

day0ne

The 50HSD is a different reel from the 50H. It already comes with a 5+1 stack. They have a Teflon/graphite drag washer that is pretty good. They have caught some big tuns (200lb +). If you want Carbontex, you need to measure the stock washers and see what Dawn at Smooothdrag has in the same or a close size. The Penn washers won't work in this reel.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

handi2

I looked at your drawing and can make some Carbontex washers if needed. The thickness is 0.5mm and I have that material.  I'll check in the morning and see if I have the correct punch.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Wow, I have seen a HPD before.  Sorry.  Send me your HT-100 washers and I'll trade you with washers that would work.  You need to send me your old washers so I can measure them up and send you something that would work.

Bryan

alantani

mark, what might work is to check the thickness of the three penn washers versus the five daiwa washers.  if they are the same, then you could use a penn washer, then one keyed metal washer, then a penn washer, then two slotted metal washers, then a penn washer and then finally two keyed metal washers.  then you would have the same thickness and a "one plus three" drag stack, which would work find for this reel.  that would save you the trouble of switching them out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seapacer

Handi2,

The reel that I need drag washers for is a Diawa 50HSD, I have attached a drawing in a previous post for the fiber washers that I would like to replace.  I assume that when going to the carbonex type drag washers, it will increase the performance of the reel.  I have four (4) of these reels that I would like to go through. 

Thanks, Mark 

handi2

Mark if you want Carbontex washers made to your drawing I can do that and send them to you. I'll do it the day after Christmas.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL