Bail wire hitting handle

Started by FatTuna, December 20, 2014, 06:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I just got a Penn 9500SS and on every third rotation of the handle, the bail wire very lightly touches the handle. The reel is 100% except it is missing the felt washer that fits in between the handle and the side bearing. Could this be causing the issue? I checked on MysticParts and it says that Penn discontinued using this part because it actually kept junk in the reel...

Is this a timing issue or could the bail be bent? Any thoughts? I'll post up some pics if it helps. Thanks guys.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

BMITCH

More likely that the bail wire is bent. I've seen this once or twice.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

surfcaster

X-2 usually a bent bail,  I have a 750 that I put a small washer on the handle pivot to fix this too.

Alto Mare

I also agree, it is usually the bail wire that got bent a little. Do check your collar though, I've seen my share of reels having the wrong collar.
The reels I'm showing are both 9500ss, the one in the back has the 16-750 collar, it is 1/8" shorter than the 16-9500...just in case.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I'm sure its the wire Sean. Don't try to bend the Handle, you will break it. Just ask cwillis. ;)
I've never had a bent bail on a 9500, but have on other ss spinners. Check your handle pivot, just to be sure. With all the upgraded handles available for these, I've never had an issue.

Life is Good!

foakes

Hi FS --

I agree with everyone -- 9.5 times out of 10 -- bent bail wire.

Just open the bail fully to the casting position -- gently tweak the bail wire with your hand -- all it takes is enough to clear the handle end by 1/8" when rotating.

On these larger spinners (Penn, Mitchell, Quick, and many more modern ones) -- many have gone to a MPU (manual bail operation).  A bail is not necessary for the larger reels -- and a MPU is stronger and less prone to the heavy stresses encountered when fishing for heavy fish in the Salt.  Less to go wrong -- and more reliable.

On Sal's picture of the two Penns -- the one on the left has a MPU.

Basically like driving a vehicle with automatic transmission -- or one with a manual transmission.

The person driving the manual transmission is generally a better driver -- and more in tune with the road and driving conditions.

Bails bend because they stick out, and get knocked around a bit.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on December 20, 2014, 04:01:46 PM
The person driving the manual transmission is generally a better driver -- and more in tune with the road and driving conditions.

AMEN!! I love working a stick/clutch... but they're becoming doggone difficult to find, and I refuse to drive with those silly automatic paddle shifters. >:(  My current car lease is up next summer, and I'm hoping to track down a hot red 6-speed Mazda 6 iSport.  8)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

handi2

Its just bent...

Make sure the roller end lines up perfectly before locking it down. This way the bail will snap shut as it should. Almost every time I get one in here that they say it needs a new bail spring it's the bail wire bent and not lined up.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cwillis85

Mine was just a bent bail wire but to be fair Daron I think a little epoxy and my handle could be good as new, your was just shinier.  ;D
Chris

FatTuna

Great, thanks for the help guys. Sounds like an easy fix ;D.

I'm going to spend some time down there right now. I'll report back.

The drag system on this reel is really cool.

FatTuna

It was just a bent bail wire. Super easy fix. Thanks a lot guys.

Now maybe I should think about doing a few upgrades. I'm going to start with replacing the teflon washer in the spool.