Lexa 400 HS

Started by justindfish, December 25, 2014, 04:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justindfish

I got a chance to open up my new lexa 400 and while I was at it I took a few pics of the right side while it was torn down. I found the reel to be much stouter internally than expected stainless drive shaft and massive main gear! Will admit it looks a lot like a TranX internally. I think it can hold its own against the Tranx especially for half the price.

justindfish

More!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Not a fan of the pinion being bronze. To me the reel weak point there. But from what I hear this bad boys do hold up well. Is that a cf washers under main gear stock?

justindfish

Yes sir all above is bone stock. It has a woven cf washer below gear then on the bottom of the stack in the gear. The other two in the middle are more like a thin carbon fiber mesh. The are now all coated in cals ready for some big black fin or cobia. I bought it as a step up from my 300e as it was getting pushed to its limits in our current fishing grounds with AJs and massive black fin tuna. I did not think it was of TranX level but after teardown I see that it is much closer to one than anything else I've seen. Looks like Daiwa might have had  TranX or two on hand in the designing of the 400.

justindfish

I do have plans of a sealed and packed outer drive shaft bearing (protection for the AR bearing) p and a bearing to go in place of the bushing under the tension cap.

handi2

I liked my 300 series so much I bought the 400 High Power model with the lower gear ratio. These reels are real tanks.

I lightly grease the inside of the aluminum body and handle side plate. Grease the already greased carbon drags and pack the handle bearing. Also grease the Bellville washers and on top to keep the water out. Grease under the handle cap too. I used Cal's grease.

I put 80lb 8 strand braid on one of them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

justindfish

Just ordered a boca yellow seal hybrid bearing to replace the stock bearing for the drive shaft (non removable shields and didn't want that one open even if packed)  I figured it would be best to keep the water off of the AR bearing. Also got another bearing to replace the bushing under the tension cap. I feel like that will be the finishing touches to it.

johndtuttle

Quote from: justindfish on December 29, 2014, 01:36:55 AM
Just ordered a boca yellow seal hybrid bearing to replace the stock bearing for the drive shaft (non removable shields and didn't want that one open even if packed)  I figured it would be best to keep the water off of the AR bearing. Also got another bearing to replace the bushing under the tension cap. I feel like that will be the finishing touches to it.

Good deal. Pop those shields once they arrive and pack them well :).

I'm really stoked on this class of reel these days. Make casting straight braid really nice.

jcool3

I have 2 lexa 400 and a couple 300.  Have an ocassional problem, with the reel not engaging after freespool.  Clutch problem?
Anyone else have this problem?

alantani

there is a ratchet gear under the main gear that hits a kick lever arm and pops the reel back into gear.  sometimes that kick lever arm is damaged or the entire side plate is gummed up.  a thorough cleaning and inspection of the kick lever is the first place i'd start. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

justin, nice post.  please send me a pm.  i'd like to send something out to you in thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: jcool3 on January 03, 2015, 05:04:08 PM
I have 2 lexa 400 and a couple 300.  Have an ocassional problem, with the reel not engaging after freespool.  Clutch problem?

As great as these reels all are to fish (be they Abu, Daiwa, Okuma or Shimano) all of the convenient features they have introduce complexity that can be finicky in the salt....and by their nature salt gets easily inside (ie all day casting and the non-sealed nature of conventional reels).

As Alan said, the kick lever inside may be gummed up or the Pinion may have a touch of corrosion and is not returning to position positively (depending on what you feel when it doesn't go into gear). A thorough pre-service like Handi2's example is the best bet to keep them in order.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Great job! Beautiful looking reel!

jcool3

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 03, 2015, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: jcool3 on January 03, 2015, 05:04:08 PM

As great as these reels all are to fish (be they Abu, Daiwa, Okuma or Shimano) all of the convenient features they have introduce complexity that can be finicky in the salt....and by their nature salt gets easily inside (ie all day casting and the non-sealed nature of conventional reels).

As Alan said, the kick lever inside may be gummed up or the Pinion may have a touch of corrosion and is not returning to position positively (depending on what you feel when it doesn't go into gear). A thorough pre-service like Handi2's example is the best bet to keep them in order.

Just got the 400's so it shouldn't be corrosion.  Will try to open it up and look at the kick lever.  Thanks for the input.

Lunker Larry

Just finished servicing a 400 and found 4 or 5 little curly shavings of plastic in the reel. Seems the pinion gear shaved off some plastic from the top of the yoke. You can see where it was shaved off; kinda beveled.
What would cause the pinion to wobble or be out of place to do that? Reel is only one season old so I wouldn't think the yoke has worn.
Any ideas?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?