Abu Revo Toro NACL 50 HS gear swop

Started by miles, December 25, 2014, 09:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miles

Hi

I have two Abu Revo Toro NACL 50 High Speed reels. These were the only models available in our country at the time of purchase.  I find the 6.4:1 gear ratio to be too high and would prefer the lower 5.4:1 gear ratio of the standard Abu Revo Toro Nacl 50.

Would it be possible to simply fit a new main and pinion gear of the lower gear ratio NACL to my high speed NACL?

Secondly, I also own two Abu Revo Toro Winch 50 reels, which has a 4.6:1 gear ratio. These are BRILLIANT for my application. Would the main and pinion gear of these older Abu Revo Toro Winch's fit in the newer Abu Revo Toro Nacl 50 hs ?

Thanx
miles

johndtuttle

If you take a detailed look at the schematics you should be able to answer your questions by comparing part numbers of the various models. If the frame, yoke, gear stud etc etc (all the relevant parts except the main and pinion) are the same then you can swap the main and pinion. If they are different, then they may likely be of different spec to fit the different main gear  or other parts.

Sometimes things are engineered differently for different ratios, but if the only difference you find in the schematics are the part numbers for the main and pinion then they should swap in, in all greatest likelihood.

Of course, this is the path I would use myself if there was no one who knew for certain ie taking the chance based on schematic analysis. However, if there is any uncertainty then a call to Abu themselves should straighten things out.

Lalo13

You know if you write those dudes at Abu a email and supply them your reel foot numbers they will get back to you , I have found them to be very cool in that aspect , and it is free ... ;D