daiwa saltist BG35 schematic and help please!

Started by Nicko_Cairns, December 26, 2014, 07:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko_Cairns

Hi folks,

Does anyone have this schematic? I can't find it anywhere, my problem is that two small washers have come from 'somewhere' and this is my first reel service, so I'm unfortunately clueless.

I made the rookie mistake I would laugh at, I literally was removing some parts then saw two equal sized washers on my towel, I was like "where the hell are you from", obviously the washers didn't reply!

This is sort of close but not close enough for me!

http://daiwafishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SALTIST-30TH-40H-50H.pdf

Also should part 66, click leaf spring I think but such trouble to get on? Not sure if it's bent but it's difficult!

Thank you gents. Everything is greased and lubed and waiting on the mystery washers, my only guess is they go under the two small springs, or one is part 22, a drive shaft washer and the other?!? Dunno!

Apologies in advance for the headache!

Nicko_Cairns

Found it!

Not sure what STT means though   :-X

http://daiwafishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SALTIST-STT-BG35H-40H-50H.pdf

Okay, crisis adverted, do not go to defcon 4! Oh, I do have one possible issue though, apart from part 66 not wanting to go home, and maybe requiring a dremel touch up, the drive shaft (24) is really loose when the drag etc isn't on it, so loose that I can wiggle it, is that bad?

Thank you guys, hope you had a great Christmas!

Fish-aholic

STT is an abbreviation for SalTisT  ;D

I suspect the two small washers left over are key #66 (?) and would be replaced below the two yoke springs (#30).

If you're having trouble replacing the click leaf spring, use a needle file to slightly bore out the inner recess should help. To be honest, if it came off, it should go back on. Before putting a file to it, try replacing at an angle so one side slots over the shoulder of the driveshaft before the other,

Don't worry about the excess play in the driveshaft when the drive train has been removed. On replacing the right side plate, the anti reverse bearing (#40) and collar (#38) will true it all up. 

Merry Christmas, Nicko!

Nicko_Cairns

Ah STT is obvious now! Yep once I got the proper schematic they were clearly the #66 part, thanks!

Reel is reassembled but the free spool lever (not proper part name) won't click into free spool, so I'll try again tomorrow, I think the lever might need to be in the other setting when Reassembling, will see!

I got the spring pawl to fit by being a bit rougher with it, I was obviously being a bit too gentle, a little more force and now that part is my b*tch  ;)

Seriously though, without the great information on this site I wouldn't have attempted today's big service, it wasn't that scary by the end and I can't wait to take that reel fishing in a couple days, it's the reel in my video in the family thread.

P.s. The reel had carbonex so I gave them a good clean and some calls grease, so should be smooth as silk, I'll find out tomorrow. I need to find some scales for measuring the drag.

Cheers, Nicko.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on December 26, 2014, 01:24:47 PM
Ah STT is obvious now! Yep once I got the proper schematic they were clearly the #66 part, thanks!

Reel is reassembled but the free spool lever (not proper part name) won't click into free spool, so I'll try again tomorrow, I think the lever might need to be in the other setting when Reassembling, will see!

I got the spring pawl to fit by being a bit rougher with it, I was obviously being a bit too gentle, a little more force and now that part is my b*tch  ;)

Seriously though, without the great information on this site I wouldn't have attempted today's big service, it wasn't that scary by the end and I can't wait to take that reel fishing in a couple days, it's the reel in my video in the family thread.

P.s. The reel had carbonex so I gave them a good clean and some calls grease, so should be smooth as silk, I'll find out tomorrow. I need to find some scales for measuring the drag.

Cheers, Nicko.

Not quite sure what the trouble with getting into free spool is but it sounds like the Yoke Plate is not able to kick the pinion out of gear. Probably not positioned properly with the Clutch Cam.

Nicko_Cairns

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 26, 2014, 03:42:38 PM

Cheers, Nicko.

Not quite sure what the trouble with getting into free spool is but it sounds like the Yoke Plate is not able to kick the pinion out of gear. Probably not positioned properly with the Clutch Cam.

I think you're right John, about to give up on this reel, all afternoon I've been trying to get it to seat properly, with one attempt I managed to get the clutch lever to move, then it wouldn't move back. Might be time to take this reel to the shop and hopefully they'll show me what to do... Frustrated!  :-[

johndtuttle

Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on December 28, 2014, 05:46:05 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on December 26, 2014, 03:42:38 PM

Cheers, Nicko.

I think you're right John, about to give up on this reel, all afternoon I've been trying to get it to seat properly, with one attempt I managed to get the clutch lever to move, then it wouldn't move back. Might be time to take this reel to the shop and hopefully they'll show me what to do... Frustrated!  :-[

Hang in there!  :)

We have all been frustrated by a reel at one time or another. Usually there is some secret to the assembly that makes it all come together easily once we figure it out. Unfortunately schematics are little help (or just hard to see what exactly should be going on).

One common one is putting the springs under the Yoke instead of over it. They are to push the Pinion back into gear when the yoke plate is cycled.

Take a look at other star drag tutorials on the site. There may be a picture of an assembly close enough to yours that a light bulb goes on for you.

;)

Nicko_Cairns

Thanks John,

I think the problem is that the pin on the clutch cam (46) isn't going into the yoke plate properly. When I tighten the screws it's usually physically impossible to move the clutch lever  except in the one instance mentioned above, so something is definitely wrong!

My wife was nice enough to offer her help and I told her to go for it, see what happens, otherwise I've got an hour long drive tomorrow each way to my nearest tackle store, so I hope it works!

I checked other threads and everything looks correct. Thanks mate.

P.s. A helpful other thread http://www.tackletour.com/articlereelmaintenancedaiwasaltist.html

Nicko_Cairns

But just in case anyone notices something wrong, here's a photo.

Also, one of the side screws is a few mm shorter than the rest, should it go in a certain hole? I can't find anything on the web about it.

Thanks!

Alto Mare

I can't really tell from your pic, but it appears that your pinion (#29) is sitting on top of your yoke (#28). The grove on the pinion should be positioned on the yoke.

I opened that reel 4-5 years ago and didn't like what I saw, I now like what I see. They probably changed the deign along the way, or I'm probably thinking of another reel :-\.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nicko_Cairns

Ah sweet! Thank you so much, I just snapped a brittle old shimano stella washer tonight so my reel stocks were starting to look thin! (Waiting on new washers).

Nicko_Cairns

Well it's back together and nice and smooooth! Thank you guys, I really appreciate the support, next is to fix an 8000sw Stella that's had a small amount of salt water intrusion under the spool, and the drag washers are stuffed, then some little Abu 5000 reels. It should be an adventure!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on December 28, 2014, 11:59:32 AM
Well it's back together and nice and smooooth! Thank you guys, I really appreciate the support, next is to fix an 8000sw Stella that's had a small amount of salt water intrusion under the spool, and the drag washers are stuffed, then some little Abu 5000 reels. It should be an adventure!

Glad you got is sorted. Sal was right on with the eagle eye. That yoke splits the pinion. Classic example of how useless a schematic is for actually putting something together sometimes.

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 28, 2014, 03:47:07 PM
Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on December 28, 2014, 11:59:32 AM

Glad you got is sorted. Sal was right on with the eagle eye. That yoke splits the pinion. Classic example of how useless a schematic is for actually putting something together sometimes.

Any now looking at it assembled, I can't believe I didn't see that!