10/0 from scratch

Started by Shark Hunter, December 26, 2014, 09:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

You don't realize how many parts it takes to build a reel from scratch, until you try putting them all together! :P
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice going buddy, parts for that reel are not easy to find, especially the 30-116A.

Maybe that's why I see the 30-116 instead ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Hey Daron when is it going to stop..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: handi2 on December 27, 2014, 12:45:56 AM

I think if everything goes as planned, then it never does  ;)

Shark Hunter

Quote from: handi2 on December 27, 2014, 12:45:56 AM
Never!
Sal, I planned on using a 12/0 new Aluminum spool, but I forgot the most essential part. The posts!
The ones I replaced with stainless got chucked. Won't do that again. Looks like its going to be a 116A with stainless posts. ;D The 10/0 stand is under the plates. I wanted to build both.
I was missing the thick pair of lugs. I just doubled up two thin ones.
All stock with 12/0 plates. I need to find some inner rings, lugs and an eccentric lever to complete the next build. Oh yeah, and the posts!

Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I need an inner right ring, posts, eccentric lever and nut and the lugs to complete the 12/0 build.
I mainly took this picture to compare it to the first one. I learned a few new things digging through all my parts to see what I had. As far as the stand studs. 3/8" stainless bolts. 1 1/2" long do the trick and they don't stick up any more than the original studs.
The 117 yoke is the same as the 116. The pinion gear is cut out on the 117 to fit. 9/0 jack springs, bridge screws, and the thinner lugs are the same.
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Very nice Daron. Building from scratch will gain you much more satisfaction when it was the reel you built that landed the big one.

I see a guy just listed the thick harness lugs you need for $2 a piece on ebay.

Good to see your favorite beverage in the mix too  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Thanks Ted. I wouldn't say that Beverage is my favorite. Its just my cheapest favorite. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Still waiting on parts to complete the 12/0 build. Thanks for that tip Ted on those thick lugs. I bought all 8 of them for a 20 spot.
I have new ss posts, and the lugs. Waiting on the eccentric lever and inner right side ring.
They are coming through Boca Raton. Seems like it takes forever to get through there! ::)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I have the parts I need now. stainless posts, the ring and the lever and nut.
Thought I would add a little twist to this one. I have had this emblem for a while. It is made to go on your Vehicle. It looks much better on this 12/0! Two complete reels made from scratch! 10/0 and 12/0 with stainless posts!
Life is Good!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Daron I tried counting the parts from the photo.  I got lost after 65 pieces.  I knew I should have learned to count higher than 65 (I had to throw that in before that guy in Pennsylvania made a crack).  ;D  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Great job bringing those back to capable reels.

They look great, and I know they are done right.

There are some hard to get parts in those two reels -- stands, posts, spools.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I missed the chrome shark.  Pretty cool.  Where did you get it?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!