Daiwa saltist LD30T 2 speed

Started by scottj, December 27, 2014, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottj

Just got a new daiwa saltiest LD30T 2 speed have not used it yet any feedback on the reel would be helpful.
Do you think I need to upgrade or service before using it. Or do you think i'm good to go right out of the box.
Also are there any handle upgrades for this reel that anyone knows of I could look at.
Thanks in advance for any of your replies.
scottj

yota924x4

i bought one back in 2010, it still doesnt have alot of hours on it but i fish it 2-3 weeks a year.  no maintenance issues and the largest fish was a ray the size of a car hood.  the drag curve is a little funky but since it has alot of range its usable. i would like it more if the frame was forged not cast but it has been dependable.

Stan

I've had mine for a few years now.  Love the reel, but need to be careful cleaning after each use.  I am conscientious about rinsing, and I still had walt water intrusion into the handle shift assembly.  Cleaned it out, and all was good again.

johndtuttle

Quote from: scottj on December 27, 2014, 10:55:33 PM
Just got a new daiwa saltiest LD30T 2 speed have not used it yet any feedback on the reel would be helpful.
Do you think I need to upgrade or service before using it. Or do you think i'm good to go right out of the box.
Also are there any handle upgrades for this reel that anyone knows of I could look at.
Thanks in advance for any of your replies.
scottj

Fishing a reel right out of the box is fine, lol, but then it needs a complete service the day after it saw salt. You just never know where salt has gotten.

You just spent nearly $600 on a reel and one trip reeling up line coated in saltwater is enough to get some behind the spool where it can do its worst if you then set it aside for several months.

I doubt that you are going to get many here that think its ok to use reels out of the box unless you must, but then always recommend that you service them asap afterwards. I promise you the bearings have no grease, the drag washer has no grease and many surfaces are just waiting for corrosion to begin.

We have seen too much corrosion to fish expensive reels without thorough preparation.

There is no reel in the world that I would fish out of the box without at least a visual inspection that it was factory prepped adequately in the rare cases they actually do something, anything to protect the reels they sell.