Help - Curado 200e7 spool stuck

Started by Padre, December 27, 2014, 11:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

Okay, this is all my own fault. I moved earlier this year, and some of my stuff was stored in a garage for a few months. After my last fishing trip before the move, apparently I wasn't as careful as I should have been cleaning some stuff.

One of my Curados is in need of some TLC because of this, but I can't get the spool out. It looks to me that the shaft is now stuck to the right side spool bearing. I've tried soaking in warm, soapy water and then a goof soaking of the bearing and spool tip in WD40. No joy. The spool will wiggle back and forth, but the bearing moves with it. How do I get it apart without fatal damage?

johndtuttle

You may be missing the order of dis-assembly?

To be sure, you generally have to take off the left side plate to lift out the spool before removing the right side plate. Some reels have a hidden screw under the spool that prevents the right side plate coming off until it is removed (Abu Garcia). Not sure if the Curado is the same but you still start from the left I am pretty sure.

best

Padre

I haven't torn into the right side yet, true, but on the Curado, once you open the right side plate, the spool should slide out to the left, even without taking the right side apart. Mine will move only as far as the bearing can move. The spool shaft isn't budging inside the bearing race.

MarkT

With the left side plate open, I'd tap on the spool arbor to free it up.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Padre

Thanks, Mark. I wasn't sure if doing that would damage the reel and wondered if there was some other better way. Used a wooden dowel held against the spool spindle and tapped the end of that. Didn't mushroom the end of the spindle, I'm happy to say, and it did come out. It looked bad in there. New bearings in the way, so I'll tear it all down and do a proper clean and re-grease when they get here.

MarkT

My issues with Curado's have been the anti-reverse bearing and the bearing under the drive shaft.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Padre on December 28, 2014, 04:24:50 AM
Thanks, Mark. I wasn't sure if doing that would damage the reel and wondered if there was some other better way. Used a wooden dowel held against the spool spindle and tapped the end of that. Didn't mushroom the end of the spindle, I'm happy to say, and it did come out. It looked bad in there. New bearings in the way, so I'll tear it all down and do a proper clean and re-grease when they get here.

Phew, glad to hear it worked out. The pinion bearing on all baitcasters is notorious for failing in the salt and is one to keep an eye on. Fortunately forewarned you can remember to access it easily to keep it regularly lubed in the future.   ;)

Lunker Larry

I'm sure that in more than half of the 300 model Curados I've worked on I have found water under the spool cap and inside the reel at the end of the year.  Because we throw heavier baits muskie fishing,  I don't worry too much about the weight of the lube affecting casting distance so I tend to use a light grease to try and prevent water getting into the components. Haven't found a 100% cure for water entry yet but this keeps the water out of the bearings etc eliminating damage.
I figure the water gets in between the spool and frame and is carried along the shaft to the spool bearing.  As good a guess as any.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Lunker Larry on December 28, 2014, 02:14:09 PM
I'm sure that in more than half of the 300 model Curados I've worked on I have found water under the spool cap and inside the reel at the end of the year.  Because we throw heavier baits muskie fishing,  I don't worry too much about the weight of the lube affecting casting distance so I tend to use a light grease to try and prevent water getting into the components. Haven't found a 100% cure for water entry yet but this keeps the water out of the bearings etc eliminating damage.
I figure the water gets in between the spool and frame and is carried along the shaft to the spool bearing.  As good a guess as any.

The body's are typically pretty open with multiple ways for water to get inside. Unfortunately there are 3 "sumps" where the water can collect when it is not being used: Pinion Bearing, Drive Shaft Bearing and ARB.