Penn Rebuild 6/0 & 12/0 - Removing Outer Rings on Side Plates & Spool Breakdown

Started by rakempe, October 27, 2010, 02:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakempe

I am rebuilding a 6/0 & 12/0 reel and I have it all stripped apart other than a couple pieces. I am having trouble removing the outer rings from the side plates. They simply will not budge. I have hit them lightly with a rubber mallet and slammed them on my work bench. Nothing works!

Also, I am having the spools re-chromed. Does the shaft running through the spool also come off or is that fixed onto the spool? I imagine I would need to remove it to have the spools chrome plated, but I am not sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

alantani

dom had the same problem.  lots of guys have this problem.  what happens is that the plastic side plates swell over the years.  in the worst cases, the rings split.  you have to pry VERY CAREFULLY and get them off.  odds are high that you will bend or break something.  then what i do is take a medium mill bastard file and file down the side plate until the rig is a "slip fit."  to remove them, i have had success using a old pocket knife.  i line the blade at the 6 o'clock position where the ring meets the side plate and i tap the back of the blade with my electric screwdriver.  then i dig into the plastic with a small screwdriver and pry it up.  it boogers up just that one spot at the bottom where it's mostly out of sight. 

for your spool, i'm not sure how you would do that, but i would love to see the results.  the brass can be re-chromed.  the stainless steel spool shaft does not need to be but cannot be removed.  please let us know how this works out.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rakempe

Thanks for the info. I'll try the knife and tapping technique tonight on the outer rings. As for the spool situation, I'll send it to the chrome shop I am using and see what they say. I was quoted $80 for the chrome job, but we'll see what it turns out to be. I'll keep you posted how it all turns out. Thanks again for the advice!

broadway

Rakempe,

It's Dom here...the guy who had the same problem.  Just thought I would add a bit.  When Alan told me the knife technique I gave it a try.  Instead, I tapped very lightly all the way around until I had a gap all the way around then pulled with my finger nails (they're like screwdrivers).  As for putting them back on, there is at trick that Mo from Scott's B+T taught me and it works.  Put the sideplate in the freezer for an hour and put the rings on top of your toaster oven for ten minutes (they shouldn't be scalding hot cause you'll have to handle them.  Wipe away the sweat from the sideplate being in the freezer, slap some grease on the sideplate (where the two parts will be put together), then take the rings off the toaster, and line the ring up with the sideplate.  Alan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to filing parts...I on the other hand go with the expansion and contraction method cause I'm not as confident as Alan (YET).   I have used this method on 4 sets of sideplates and rings...it works! Good luck 2 Ya!
Dom

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

I know I should be taking photos but I am a computer moron.  When mom comes for thanksgiving I'll make her do some work.  Again, please excuse my ignorance.   Thanks
Dom