209 gears

Started by txangler81, December 31, 2014, 05:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

While looking for peer 209 parts I have discovered that the 209 line counter reels used different gears taking it from 3:1 ratio to a 3.2:1 ratio. This works on all 209s as well as 25, 26, and 27 monofills oh and the 155 160 and 180 reels. the part numbers are 5-209lc and 13-209lc for those that are interested. The question that I have would be is that enough of a gain in speed to warrant a gear change in these reels?

Dustin

Ron Jones

My first question would be have you actually counted the teeth to make sure that is correct? If it is then a 6% increase may be worth it to someone especially if they needed gears. Many of us have been playing with these lately, but a lot of us are really building them up and so a brass main gear wouldn't do. Faster is faster though and these small spools can use all the help they can get, especially the wide ones.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

txangler81

no I have not counted the teeth but I have looked at mysticparts.com and compared the parts list for a 209 and a 209lc and the only thing that changed is the right side plate the gears and the worm oh and the worm bearing swichted places the gears in the 209 are 5-155 and 13-155 which are in the other reels I have listed.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

txangler81

honestly if I had the funds and knew the right people I would look into having one piece aluminum frames made for the entire line of peer/peerless reels. They are more than popular enough to do it. That would address the biggest issue with these reels in there lack of frame strength.