Penn 99 Silver Beach - washer under gear sleeve?!?

Started by RustyTank, November 29, 2014, 01:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyTank

Cleaning up a #99 Silver Beach...

Under the gear sleeve, between the sleeve and the Bridge, is a small washer about .485" OD, .3" ID...  fits in a groove/indent in the bottom of the gear sleeve...   it fell apart when I took the sleeve off the bridge.

It is not shown on the schematic:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/99.pdf

I'm guessing it is to hold oil to lube the sleeve against the bridge... but I'm used to just putting grease between those two parts...

Anyone got an idea on a part number?

- RustyTank

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

That might be hard to find, Its just a felt washer, usually green in color. You will do just fine without it, I usually toss mine when I do find them.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2014, 02:04:50 AM
That might be hard to find, Its just a felt washer, usually green in color. You will do just fine without it, I usually toss mine when I do find them.
Sal

x2.

RustyTank

Thanks Sal & fIsHsTiiCkS....

Felt makes sense... it was long since caked up with black grease to be able to tell the color... but using felt in that spot, with the oil holes in the drill sleeve would make sense as an oil wick... 

Since I'll be greasing that up... I agree it makes sense to just go without...

Thanks again!

- RustyTank

otghoyt

I have purchased a sheet of .010 Nyloil off e-bay for replacing that washer.  It's really user un-friendly stuff to work with.  The resulting slop by omitting the washer just compounds the problem of the gear sleeve rocking and rolling in the end plate.  My 505/6HS reels are ridiculously sloppy at this point and need all the help they can get.