A new alu-frame for Penn reels.

Started by trond_solem, January 03, 2015, 06:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Since Tiburon frames are hard to come by here in europe (read: noone ships overseas), we may have to design and have our own frames cut.

At the moment I am investigating the possibillity of getting them cut in a low cost/high tec country. Havent got any price yet, but he said I am going to be plesantly surprised.

Well, here is the first design attempt.
The Vega frame for the 113HLW reel.

trond_solem

Better renderings of the frame.
This model can be adjusted for the standard size 113H reel if anyone can tell me the distance between the inner rings.
BTW, It can be adjusted to fit narrow reels too, if anyone can tell me the distance between inner rings, or the flange on the side plates.
Colors? Not decided yet.
Rod clamp will be about the same as Tiburon or the Penn composite, but made from aluminium.
Not sure about the foot. Stainless steel or aluminium?
It will be a tight fit, so it can't be twisted or ripped off. Well, it can be ripped off, but then you have to break the rod clamp and still be able to hold on to the rod. I think the last on will be difficult.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The width is 2.437" measure between inner chrome rings

trond_solem

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 03, 2015, 12:41:40 PM
The width is 2.437" measure between inner chrome rings

The standard width reel I suppose.

Thanks.

fIsHsTiiCkS

trond_solem

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 03, 2015, 12:59:34 PM
Yes, that's the standard

Great!

Here are the standard width version.

A new rendering of the 113HLW version below.

alantani

the front bar looks a little too high.  remember that the line will take a downward angle when it runs from the spool to the first guide. you don't want the line to hit the front cross bar when you get the bottom wraps.  we had a problem with one run of charter special spools.  otherwise, it looks great!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

That looks pretty darn sweet. If it's affordable I'll definitely be a buyer.

Now, If we could only get one made for a LB 60 we would be talking high demand with zero competition, seeing as how there are a few million LB 60's in use out there and absolutely no aftermarket frame available for it  ...........same frame would work for a 2/0 as well.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

trond_solem

Quote from: alantani on January 03, 2015, 05:27:52 PM
the front bar looks a little too high.  remember that the line will take a downward angle when it runs from the spool to the first guide. you don't want the line to hit the front cross bar when you get the bottom wraps.  we had a problem with one run of charter special spools.  otherwise, it looks great!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip. The front bar is exactly horizontal to the center of the spool. I may make this a bit lower. No problem.
On the 113HLW, the front frame post is at exactly the same height as this frame., maybe even a bit higher, since the top edge of my design is at the center of the screws, but the Penn half frame is a few millimeters higher.

New versions coming up. Front edge lowered to 5 degrees below center. I think the line will clear this even at the last windings on the spool.
A quick check reveals that if the first ring/guide on the rod is at least 380mm from the reel and at least 10mm high, the line WILL clear the front of the frame. I don't think the first ring/guide on the rod is closeer than 38cm or 14" or lower than 1/2 inch, so this will work.

trond_solem

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 03, 2015, 05:53:52 PM

Now, If we could only get one made for a LB 60 we would be talking high demand with zero competition, seeing as how there are a few million LB 60's in use out there and absolutely no aftermarket frame available for it  ...........same frame would work for a 2/0 as well.

Ted

It is no problem to scale this down to the Long Beach 60 / senator 2/0 size.
Just send me a shoddy looking reel so I can take some measurements. :-)

akfish

I think this will be slick. However, I have to wonder how much demand there will be: Unless the frames are very cheap, it would make more sense to sell you old Senator and buy a new US Senator that already comes with an aluminum frame, better free spool, more drag, etc.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

trond_solem

Quote from: akfish on January 03, 2015, 07:09:53 PM
I think this will be slick. However, I have to wonder how much demand there will be: Unless the frames are very cheap, it would make more sense to sell you old Senator and buy a new US Senator that already comes with an aluminum frame, better free spool, more drag, etc.

To many people, the cost isn't an object as long as it isn't extremely costly. They just want to customize and use their reel/bike/car/whatever.
I like that way of thinking. Buying a new item doesn't always make me happy, but making my old gadget better is always something that makes me happy.

So sell my old senator? No, it won't happen!

trond_solem

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 03, 2015, 05:53:52 PM

Ted

I have been looking at parts lists for the LB 60 and senator 111, 112.
It seems that the Senator 111 and 112 are the same diameter, but different width.
I can't find that the LB 60 share the inner rings with the Senators, so I can't be sure they are the same diameter and the same screw pattern.
I don't have the width of that reel either.
Can someone inform me about the width of the reels between the inner rings and the diameter of the rings and spool?

I am able to modify this frames to fit many reels without too much work.

trond_solem

Here is a model of the Long Beach 60 frame.
The screw holes for the original foot is incorrect, but I have no reel to measure them from.

Maxed Out

Put me down for a half dozen of those LB 60 frames. That'll be enough to get me started.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!