Steelhead reel ???

Started by CooldadE, January 04, 2015, 06:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I'm new to the Steelhead fishing world. I have two nice condition Finwick HMG steelhead rods. One spinning and one baitcaster. I'm looking to reel them up. I'm not made of money but don't like to buy cheap ether. Any suggestions on reels for these would be appreciated. I will prob be fishing from the bank and not in a boat...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Keta

For boat and smaller streams I use Shimano Curado 200 and Calcutta 50 reels, for larger streams an ABU 5600 or similar size Calcutta are good choices.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CooldadE

Looks like no spinners for you Keta... I  have a ABU 4600 C That I could use, next larger are a 6600 Rocket and some 6500s . Still looking for feedback on some spinning reels. I've never been to Klamath Falls but my son lives in Medford. I really like Oregon though I have never fished there. Thanks for the direction...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

johndtuttle

Plenty of terrific and inexpensive spinners for steelies. Something like a Penn Battle II or Conflict in 4000 size with 20lb braid should do very well.

Newell Nut

May be hard to find a good condition one since they quit making them but the Shimano Bantam 50 conventional would be a terrific reel. I used them on king salmon and sockeys. Holding 3 new ones for my grandson one day.