My current dilemma

Started by txangler81, January 08, 2015, 04:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

The first penn reel I acquired was an old beat up jigmaster 500. It had almost no chrome left on it the spool was bad the reel seat was bent and the right side plate was broken. I pieced it back together and made a very nice looking reel, but the only problem is the side plates don't match (the old left side plate is a reddish brown and the right side plate is dark red. Unfortunately my ocd has gotten the better of me and I acquired a very nice dark red left side plate attached to an almost flawless frame with solid spacer bars. That's all well in fine but now I have a perfectly good reddish brown left side plate and a nice frame with no right side plate. My dilemma is im not sure if I want to get a 500 plate and turn it into "99" width reel or a 501 plate and make it a narrow one. I currently have two full sized jigmasters a 501 two 99's and two 250's that im not sure what to do with may make them 501 width or 99 width as well. When I get my side plate I will still have to acquire some guts would love to go all stainless its just not in the budget right now. I really appreciate y'alls impute.

Thanks
Dustin

txangler81

well unfortunately when I checked to see if the new left side plate matched my right side plate it did not I guess the camera flash made it look redder so im back to square one and now with to brownish red left side plates lol. guess I can do one of both now.

George4741

I read of one guy who intentionally mismatched the colors of his sideplates when fishing on the party boats.  He thought that it might keep someone from accidently ::) borrowing one of his reels.  
viurem lliures o morirem

txangler81

yeah my ocd wont let me do that ive tried to let it alone but I just cant.

txangler81

if I get  37-65 bars a 30-66 seat and a 99 spool match that with jigmaster side plates and rings and I will have a 99 width jigmaster right

CooldadE

Yes! I did it and used a chrome 99 spool. Reel turned out great. I'm putting togeather  another with Newell spacers and base, just need a few more small parts.
Quote from: CooldadE on July 09, 2014, 06:49:21 AM
I Loves me some 99's... here's one of mine

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Shark Hunter

I think the key ingredient is the 99 spool. Everything else will fall into place.
Life is Good!

CooldadE

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 08, 2015, 07:25:52 AM
I think the key ingredient is the 99 spool. Everything else will fall into place.
Agreed... Choices are, original Penn 99, Tiburon, and Newell. At least I think Newell made a spool that will work. Someone else might know better than I...
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

George4741

Quote from: CooldadE on January 08, 2015, 07:38:31 AM

Agreed... Choices are, original Penn 99, Tiburon, and Newell. At least I think Newell made a spool that will work. Someone else might know better than I...

Yes, Newell made a 99 spool.  Accurate also made frames and spools.
viurem lliures o morirem

txangler81

Has anyone taken jigmaster spacer bars and cut them to 99 width and tapped them

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

txangler81

Thanks Ive seen both of those post before but im talking about modifying the jigmaster spacer bars to 99 width for making a jigmaster that is 99 width.

Shark Hunter

Sorry tx,
Just trying to help buddy. I don't know enough about what you are trying to accomplish. ::)
All my 99's have 99 frames.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: txangler81 on January 08, 2015, 02:03:00 PM
Has anyone taken jigmaster spacer bars and cut them to 99 width and tapped them

I had looked into that. It can be done but it's a lot of work. The aluminum Newell bars would the easiest to cut. The drilled hole goes deep enough for a solid starting point after cutting. Then just drill and tap the rest. But if we can convince Alan C. To make the 99 bars as well, that would be best!