Shimano upgrade

Started by AJ, October 31, 2010, 02:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

Saw this on the Shimano web site http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html[/color]
TN and TOR Upgrade
Parts included in Drag Upgrade Kit:
1. Upgraded side plate
2. Upgraded drive shaft
3. Upgraded drag plate (key washer)
Never had a problem with my TOR 20 (I only fish 20# line on mine) but is there a need for this upgrade?

alantani

all you need is a carbontex drag set and a trinidad dc spring and pawl to improve the anti-reverse.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelgood

If you call them, Shimano will send you those 3 parts you listed for free and they might even throw in carbon drag washers if you ask, and then you may as well ask for the DC pawl and spring  ;D  I guess you don't need the other parts but having a spare right side plate and drive shaft can't hurt

Bucktail

As far as the Shimano upgrade please note:

"These upgrades are designed to enhance the performance of your Shimano Trinidad or Torium reel by increasing the drag range in the above listed reels manufactured prior to 2005. Reels manufactured in 2005 will already have these upgrades already installed."

I did Alan's clicking anti-reverse upgrade on my Torium 16 and Shimano sent me the parts for free.  I also ordered and installed the Carbontex drag from Dawn at Smoothdrag. 
Just a jig-a-lo

reelgood

There is a 2-letter code on the bottom of the Trinidad reel seat (don't know about Torium), if you tell Shimano the code they will tell you how old your reel is...

AJ

Thanks for all that great info.  I already have the upgraded drags from Dawn and I will check with Shimano on the rest.  Thanks again.
Robb

Killerbug

AJ, did you ever upgrade your Trinindad?
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

AJ

It is a Torium 20 and I just did the drags and handle.  I like it but I am using more and more 2-speeds.