RE: Atlas Fishing reels

Started by Ellis Feibush, November 02, 2010, 05:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis Feibush

Has anyone ever heard of Atlas fishing reels? Or ever even opened one up? Just picked one up that looks and behaves  like the small Avet, SX single speed I believe. I think it's made in either China or Korea, forgot to check. Loaded it with 20lb. and took it out for a trial run Sunday on Striped Bass and Bluefish. Wow!  I picked the perfect day. The sea was alive with hundreds of birds and large parts of the ocean were red tinted, something you don't see too much. A sure sign of a Bluefish slaughter. This thing is extremely smooth and strong. The drag is  very, very smooth. Very comfortable handle as well. The Blues and Stripers were very cooperative hitting almost any jig you threw at them. What a sight! Fish breaking water all over. One of those dream days when fish were all over your boat chasing small bait fish. This reel can cast extremely well and has as strong a drag as anyone could use. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of an Atlas reel...

Phinaddict

It is the same as an Omoto VS10; which Alan has torn down and documented here on his site.
Seems like a good copy of the Avet, I'm sure it will work well for you.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Bucktail

Phinaddict,

Do you know that for a fact or are you just making an assumption?

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

Phinaddict

Hey Bob,
I'm making an assumption. If you look at the two reels, they are almost identical; down to the contour of the drag lever, the  spool capacity, gear ratio, even the holes on the handle arm and the preset knob. The frame shape,  handle/arm assembly all appear to be identical....so I was just making a reasonable guess.

There are several companies making in Asia who have copied the Avet to some degree or another.
I am sure that  Atlas, Omoto, Offshore America, and others all produce a pretty sound reel. I have an
Omoto and cannot find fault with it.

I went with Omoto simply because they been around awhile as a manufacturer. Some of the other brands come and go as they are simply imported under someones small business; like Red Pig reels, Gill Master, Zelina, etc. They all came and went.

Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Bucktail

OK thanks.  I think you are probably right.
Just a jig-a-lo

Ellis Feibush

When I enlarged your picture it appeared to be identical with my Atlas reel. I had never seen a reel whose sideplates were attached via star type screws. They certainly wouldn't be my first choice. Probably replace them this winter as these star type screws look like the heads could get bunged up pretty easily. Will try to replace them with stainless allen or conventional single slotted screws. In any event the reel works very well and obviously I picked the perfect day to test it.

kamuwela

are the star screws you are talking about are torx? if so i would recomend leaving them. through all the corroded reels ive done i have yet to be unable to remove them. sloted screws get flared, phillips strips, more so of they are stainless and brass even worse. try alan's tried and true way and grease all screws and run it a season and see how it does         aloha kamu

Ellis Feibush

Thanks for that advice kamuwela. It's just that I have never seen a fishing reel's sideplates held together with torx bolts. I will take your advice and leave well enough alone. Greaseing the bolts is standard procedure for me and most others I  would suspect, so I'll just keep them on as you suggest and grease them. Thanks for the tip.