Micro tip

Started by Ferd, January 14, 2015, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferd

Hello all. Glad to be back. I lost my password and it has taken a long time to get back here. Anyway, I have a casting rod that I really like and I use it all the time. It has the micro guides, which I could take or leave. Anyway, the insert has come loose on the tip. With other rods, I have always been able to go to Wally's and get a tip to replace them with. No such luck with the micros. Can anyone help me out as to how to purchase a micro tip? I don't even know how to measure them so any and all help will be useful. Thanks.

Newell Nut

Rods tips are typically measured in 64s. 8/64 is a tip size of 8 for example. You can try to find them at mudhole.com unless Jon Vadney has some in his shop.

Jon Vadney

Dwight is correct in that tips are measured in 64ths of an inch.  If you have a pair of calipers, measure the ID of the tube on the tip that you have and then convert that to 64ths.  1/64" = 0.3969mm

Guides are also sized strangely in that a size 8 guide doesn't have an 8mm opening.  The measurement is taken from the inside of the metal frame (or the outside of the insert, however you want to think about it).  So... to figure out what tip you would need to replace the one you have, measure the outside of the insert/inside of the frame on the tip you have.  Measure the tube on the tip and convert that to 64ths, then post here and I'll see if I have what you need in stock.  If I don't, I'll find someone who does for ya.

Ferd

That sounds great. I will take measurements this weekend and get back to you. Thanks for the help.