Winter is here. If we can't fish, we can read about it. Two rare Tuna Club books

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, January 15, 2015, 04:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Big game sportfishing was born and raised in Southern California.  The epicenter was Catalina Island, where the Tuna Club of Avalon laid the foundation for the rules that still govern the sport to this day.   Offered here are two rare books that allow us to have a glimpse into the inner workings of the Tuna Club. 

First, the 1948 Stated First Edition of "History of the Tuna Club" by Arthur Macrate.  This book is in very good condition with the only significant flaws that I can see being the separation on the inside paper of top half of the front hinge and some spots of finish damage on the spine.  There is also a brown discoloration around the border of the papers on the inside covers and on the facing pages, but the all of the rest of the pages are in beautiful condition.

Second is the 1953 Tuna Club Yearbook.  The yearbook front cover has some discoloration and a piece missing at the bottom and top right corners and there is a small tear at the left edge, and there is a dark stain and some scribbling on the back cover.  The club roster page has a small piece of scotch tape at the top to mark it, and there is some writing on the roster pages as well.  Otherwise, it is in very good shape.  The 1953 membership included U.S.A. Sharp's Cup Team stalwarts George Thomas III, Don Allison, John Manning, and Joe Peeler, Hollywood notables Charlie Chaplin, Hal Roach, Mack Sennet, and Cecil B. DeMille, and fishing notables Van Campen Heilner, Ted Naftzger, Harry Buffum, T.S. Plueger, Bill Pigg, George Pillsbury, George Clark, and Keith Spalding, plus honorary members Winston Churchill, Richard Nixon, Philip Wrigley and Herbert Hoover.  The embossed gold and blue Tuna Club "blue button" on the cover stirs the soul.

I could sell the two books for $750 including shipping by Insured Priority Mail with tracking to anywhere in the USA including Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc.  If you would like some good close up photos of both books, please send me your email address and i would be happy to send them.  I also have a few other interesting Tuna Club items for sale.  Please call me at 805-748-9202 (we are on California time) if you would rather talk than type.

Thanks,

Randy