Newell Reels. Cheaper by the Dozen.

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, January 15, 2015, 05:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Please let me know if you see anything that you like and I will get you a price and description.  I have picked up a few others since I took this photo, so please let me know if there's anything that you are looking for that you don't see.

Thanks,

Randy

bluefish69

Randy

Have you been taking pictures of my collection? I do think you missed 1 of the totes though. Mine are either G or P series very few "S" series.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's a stash.  I'm interested in any P-series, 300 size reels and 500 series reels with 2 metal bearing caps...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

540 3.2 is my favorite of all the Newells if you have one.

redfish12

Any chance you have left hand 2 series? If not, can you let me know what a 220 RH would go for?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: redfish12 on February 05, 2015, 02:42:13 AM
Any chance you have left hand 2 series? If not, can you let me know what a 220 RH would go for?

Thanks for your post Michael.  I'm sorry to say that I don't have any lefty Newells at the moment.  The 220s run from $120-$185 depending upon condition and series.

Thanks again,

Randy

V I P

Hi, can you let me know what reels you have available in the 400-5, 500-4.6/5.5 series with prices in a pm? Or you can contact me via phone/text @808-221-0532 or email johniplunkett@aol.com

ShoreKasterHI

Interested in both the no letter 454 or g454 please pm price?

nelz

I'm asking this out of ignorance since I've never handled a Newell, but what makes these reels so sought after?

Bryan Young

Quote from: nelz on February 13, 2015, 03:28:43 PM
I'm asking this out of ignorance since I've never handled a Newell, but what makes these reels so sought after?
Newells are really easy to cast, easy to maintain (all stainless steel guts), gears are extremely strong (I have not seen one stripped out yet), and light.

Unfortunately, when Carl Newell passed away, the organizations that purchased Newell could not make it work economically I presume.  The reels work on 30+ years old technology...but it still works, and works well.  I think Newells were going down hill due to the lack of innovation to keep up with the competition, and not that Newells are no longer available, there has been a resurgence of how great his reels really were/are.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I could add a lot more from my experience of fishing them hard for a long time and others that I know that have fished them hard for 30 years and they just keep on catching fish.
X2 on what Bryan said.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Dear VIP and ShorecasterHI,

I'm sorry to say that I was gone fishing for a week at the beginning of the month, and now I have been sick for the past week and I am way behind in getting ready for my one big tackle show of the year coming up the first week of March, so I don't have time to do anything else for the next two weeks.  I would really appreciate a chance to do business with you, and I would be happy to send you an inventory after the show ends if you are still interested at that time.  Please accept my apology for not being able to take care of anything right now.

Thanks,

Randy Pauly

john2244

Hello Randy,
Sorry to hear you are under pressure to get ready for the FHS.  If you need some help when you arrive in Long Beach let me know.  
John Wilson
San Clemente

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: john2244 on February 14, 2015, 03:45:51 AM
Hello Randy,
Sorry to hear you are under pressure to get ready for the FHS.  If you need some help when you arrive in Long Beach let me know.  
John Wilson
San Clemente

Thanks a million John.  I really appreciate your offer, but I will have lots of help once I get to the show.  My problem is completing the work that has to be done here before I start loading the trailer. 

Thanks again for everything, and I hope that all is well with you.

Randy

Tunacious

Quote from: nelz on February 13, 2015, 03:28:43 PM

I've used them since 1985 when I purchased my first Newell, a P220-F. I went to a new fishing store named "Bunkers Tackle" (David Bunker, the man who started Smoothies). As I was purchasing a couple Contender rods from him (wish I still had those :'(), he convinced me to try out a Newell. Hey, the guy had a 300+ lb. yft hanging on his wall...I figured he knew what he was talking about.  :D

I've always liked Newells for "the feel", quality of all ss parts for the internals, ease of maintaining them and because they just worked. I actually switched to Newell after using Penn Jigmasters and Squidders for many years. Newells are only a lighter, easier casting, west coast style fishing reel. Carl liked the Jigmasters and Squidders...he only wanted to improve on them for use in west coast style fishing.

For me, I don't need a $500 2-speed 30# reel filled with spectra to catch 10-50 lb. schoolie sized yellowfin, bluefin and yellowtail. All I need are a change of fiber washers and I'm good to go for another season. I was fortunate to accumulate enough spare parts to last me for my lifetime. I've only had to replace two parts in 30 years...not bad. Now, if the skipper comes on the PA and says he's going to chase down some 70-100 lb bft, then I'm going to put my Newells in the rack and get out the 2-speed stuff....otherwise the original jigmaster designed reels just keep on catching fish.