Anyone have problems with Tiburon spool working with Penn 501?

Started by Brian510, January 17, 2015, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian510

Hello,

I bought a Tiburon P21 kit and put my reel together, but there was sort of a binding feel to the whole thing, and the free spool didn't work.  Took it apart again and noted that the original spool spindle is chamfered, but the Tiburon spindle is not.  Is there a special bushing that I need to use with this spool, or is the spool defective?

Thanks.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Make sure you have a hint of side way play with the spool, by adjusting the left side bushing. I've run into this before, but mine was a Newell, I had to sand down the spool shaft a little.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brian510

Thanks for the tips.  I measured the diameter of the Tiburon spool spindle, and it's .02 mm larger than the stock spool's spindle.  Small difference, but I need to push it pretty hard to get it through the pinion.  I think that's the problem.  The spindle length and spindle tip diameter on both spools are the same.  I will go get some emery cloth.

mike1010

fIsHsTiiCkS

I just ran across this issue as well. It's my 4 501 spool and this is the first time. It wasn't as bad as .2mm though

Brian510

Quote from: mike1010 on January 17, 2015, 09:57:46 PM
It would be interesting to know what Tiburon has to say.

Here is Tiburon's response:

"If it is only .02 mm larger then you have the correct spool. From the picture it looks like the correct spool. You might be able to use emery cloth to make it fit better. Concentrate your rework on the end by making a larger chamfer.
If that does not work you can send it to us for exchange or repair."