penn magnum 3/0

Started by alantani, November 02, 2010, 06:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Alan,
I just finished changing the drag washers in a 3/0 Magnum that has the guts of a Penn 4/0 and the frame the size of a 3/0 which was made by Accurate. I have had the reel for years and just ran into this problem for the first time.
The problem is related to when the handle is turned backwards.
OUT Of GEAR: When the reel is in out of gear in free spool and I turn the handle backwards the dog and the dog spring engage the teeth on the gear sleeve immediately and the handle stops.
IN GEAR: When the reel is in gear and I turn the handle backwards the backward travel of the handle is more than when it is out of gear. The dog  finally engages but there is a distinct "clunk" and the handle stops. The handle appears to travel backwards more than when it is out of gear as if there is more "backlash".
Any ideas of what is going on? 
Thanks in advance for answering.
Bill

Alan,
Thanks for the tips on what to check.
The culprit was the yoke. I hand dressed the burrs on the yoke, put it back together and the roughness and "clunking" disappeared.
This reel is a hybrid and the yoke is not the same part as used in my other 4/0's.
Dog and mating teeth on the shaft were not worn and dog thickness was slightly thinner than the teeth on the shaft.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Bill

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!