Bargain Value on High Quality Power Screwdriver/Impact Driver Set

Started by foakes, January 20, 2015, 05:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Some of you should look at this -- I do not believe it will last too long -- at this price.

$99.00! -- for a Lithium Powered screwdriver & Lithium Powered Impact driver.

At Home Depot --

For those of you who may not know -- Ridgid is HDs own brand -- products are made in China -- and very high quality -- comparable to DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, and Porter-Cable.  Many tradesmen, contractors, and jobbers use Ridgid.

Check out the specs on line -- you will be amazed.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9000K/205358335/

But here is the best part for me -- besides the price:  LIFETIME SERVICE GUARANTEE -- including NEW BATTERIES when needed -- for life.  You MUST register the products in your name -- and you MUST sign up online for the guarantee to be valid.

HD will even send the batteries to your home -- free.

I cannot even buy two new batteries for my 18V DeWalt, for less then $129.

Good product -- unbelievable value -- perfect for around the house, property, work, working on reels.

Not as powerful as the 18V -- but I find I use my Milwaukee 12Vs for 90% of the jobs around the house, and in the wood working shop, and in my reel shop.

Very high consumer ratings.

I do not work for HD -- but this is a very, very strong value.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

I have that set.  I got it before christmas and have been using it around the house.  Plenty of power for what I use it for around the house.  I don't need a 20 volt model but then I don't need a 4/0 to get 35# of drag either!

BTW, I don't use this on reels.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

That sounds like a deal, but I have all the power tools I will ever need. When it comes to Torque in small drivers, I have a 9V Hatachai that will twist your wrist off...so you don't need a lot of voltage.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Be careful with power tools on reels, I do not use them anymore, I do all mine by hand. If you do, make sure you go slow and set the torque at its lowest setting, but at times even that doesn't help. on the stainless steel bridge, if you use the power tool, there is a chance you will strip the softer brass screws, the same goes with the ss screws in  Accu-frames and Tiburon frames, those could also get damaged.
Just my two cents, you do as you please.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

I do not use one on Accurate or Tib frames and sideplates.

But I do use it carefully on everything else.

And, every screw gets broken loose by hand -- and tightened until snug by hand with a hollow ground screwdriver.

And the power driver saves a lot of time on most reels -- when set at the lowest torque setting -- then just tighten by hand.

Saves so much time and effort when doing 10 or 15 reels in a day -- at least for me.

Haven't stripped a screw yet -- always keep the torque setting at #2.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

I'm almost afraid to make this statement after getting my hand slapped in to other posts,but here goes nothing.

I have to agree about using power drivers for intricate work on such things as small screws, especially gun work. Reels...well I don't know that much as far as repair goes,but I prefer using hand tools so I don't damage any screw heads or accidentally over tighten. Maybe I should politely write a disclaimer for my statements. Hope I haven't broken any rules. ::) ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Oh! You did it now! Hand slapping to come! :D
As much as I want these Fred. I'll stick to my cheap black and decker driver. It works great at running screws in and out and at the lowest setting, I really don't think it can do any damage. I better keep it that way. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I use the Black & Decker driver with hollow ground bits (recent aquisition) when the screws are loose, and hollow ground hand drivers to initially break free, or for final torquing.  Been wondering if an adjustable torque wrench would be worthwhile or maybe a bit of overkill during final tightening.  I feel like I can trust my own 'best practices' here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 21, 2015, 12:40:49 AM
I'm almost afraid to make this statement after getting my hand slapped in to other posts,but here goes nothing.

I have to agree about using power drivers for intricate work on such things as small screws, especially gun work. Reels...well I don't know that much as far as repair goes,but I prefer using hand tools so I don't damage any screw heads or accidentally over tighten. Maybe I should politely write a disclaimer for my statements. Hope I haven't broken any rules. ::) ;D
You're doing good, keep it that way ;). I've been using power tools for over 40 years,I know how to use them, that's what I do for a living. I've damaged a couple of sets of screws from mounting and dismounting reels many times during my tests.
Today we have brass screws going into stainless steel, it doesn't take much to damage the crews, especially on smaller reels as a Jigmaster.
I'm not stopping anyone from using theirs, I personally use my screwdrivers and do it by hand, no risk of slipping, over tightening or stripping the screws.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

I'm glad to see I haven't said anything wrong and you give me the benefit of an opinion, that's great. I us an impact driver for driving wood screws and it does a great job especially the larger lags that we use in our barns for door rails and frames,works great on deck screws too.

Reel 224

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 21, 2015, 01:29:17 AM
I use the Black & Decker driver with hollow ground bits (recent aquisition) when the screws are loose, and hollow ground hand drivers to initially break free, or for final torquing.  Been wondering if an adjustable torque wrench would be worthwhile or maybe a bit of overkill during final tightening.  I feel like I can trust my own 'best practices' here.

You can get torque sets from Brownells but they are pricy. A good set with three different settings can set you back $150.00 or better,depends on what you want.