Filling the Gaps

Started by theswimmer, January 21, 2015, 12:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Ok, Here is the deal,
I inherited a bunch of stuff in order from small to big,
Penn 209, Penn 60 Long Beach, Penn 2/0 ,Shimano TLD 15/30, Penn 6/0, Penn 114h rat. and many more.

I want to fill the gap between the Shimano 15/30 and the Penn 6/0.
What I have listed is what I would fish and I am torn between a Shimano TLD 20/40 and a Penn 113h or other 113 to fill the spot between the Shimano 15/30 and my Penn 6/o's.
My heart tells me go for the Penn but I need to have stuff I can beat on Long Distance boats and day boats as well.
I know the Shimano's will be more expensive to repair and maintain , I love my TLD 15/30 however......

P.S Forgot the Squidder on the bottom end.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

day0ne

The Shimano 20/40 is just a slightly wider 15/30, so it wouldn't fill any empty spot. Ideally I would look for something like a 113HN Baja Special, or an old school YTS ( narrow 113H)
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

theswimmer

I was not going to fish the 349 but I think it fits in the gap.
I like my TLD 15/30 so much that I am just trying to justify
buying a 20/40. I want a 113 as well, I just can feel the pull of a Tank build in my future.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

The 15/30 is a 20-25# reel, the 20/40 is a 30# reel, a 113H is a 40-50# reel.  Depending on what and how you're fishing the 20/40 would probably be your best bet.  I was a Penn guy so had the entire GS series... 525 (15#), 525 Mag (15#), 535 (20#), 535 w/5.3:1 (25#), 545 w/5.3:1 (30#), 555 w/4.25:1 (40#). IMO, these were better reels than the 15/30, 20/40 and Speedmaster.  I sold a 535 and the 555.  With spectra, you don't really need a 555.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

theswimmer

Quote from: Keta on January 21, 2015, 12:36:17 PM
Quote from: theswimmer on January 21, 2015, 11:54:49 AM
I was not going to fish the 349....

Why not?

Actually I could hear my Dad and Grandpa yelling the same thing Lee!
My Grandpa in the lead hollering " Why did you start rebuilding it if your not going to fish it!"

Errol Flynn

Keta

I'll try to get a photo of my 349's, working, lookers and parts reels.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Where do you fish?  Yeah, why wouldn't you fish a 349?  At the very least a 349 would be good for rockfishing.  You can replace the bushing in the left sideplate of the 15/30 with a bearing to make it a little smoother and better casting.

Keta

Quote from: MarkT on January 21, 2015, 03:42:03 PM
At the very least a 349 would be good for rockfishing. 

When I lived in SE Alaska I used stock 349H's for large Pacific halibut, a 5+1 drag stack, Spectra and other modifications make them even better.  The 349H is still my preferred reel for big butt.

Mark Twain

theswimmer

I fish West Coast from Alaska south to Isla Mujeres.
I will fish the East from Sapelo Is.  to the St Marys river once or twice a year as well, mostly nearshore.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

The bulk of my ocean fishing will be between the SF bay and Mexico.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Hi Jon --

Leaving for a long day in the Valley today --

Hate to go down to Fresno due to the thick fog hanging in all day -- and it is 10 degrees warmer and sunshine up here -- however...

If you are home, or down working -- I could just drop off these 349 parts on your doorstep.

If home, let me know -- or PM your exact address, and I will just drop them off.

We will hook up later on the rest of the parts you might need for your Mitchell 302, or others.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Nice!  Lotsa shiny bits.

Keta

Nice stash of hardtoubtanium there.  I'd replace the stock drag stack with a smooth Drag kit.

Mark Twain

MarkT

I'm in Mission Viejo in south OC.  I mostly fish out of Dana Point for half day to full day and San Diego for overnights and longer.  I' going out on the Pacific Queen this weekend to fish Colonet for YT. I'll be yo-yoing with 40-50# using 7x, 6x, 6xJr heavy iron.  Taking knife and slow pitch jigs too.