Spooling gold trini 16

Started by steelfish, January 21, 2015, 02:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey guys,

fishing in the north sea of cortez here, gonzaga bay area and San Felipe.
I recently got a used gold trini 16 and upgrade the drags for some carbontex and also installed a new dog and spring from the triniDC (thanks Alan), so, according from some guys the reel now has guts for 22-25# of drag, more than enough for stopping a mad cabrilla or grouper in the deep.

Im debating between spooling it with 200yds of JB 80# solid spectra or 333yds (300mts) of 60# toro tamer solid braid (already have those two lines with me), boths with a short 5ft 60# mono leader.

this reel will be paired on a trevala rod 6.6 MH for jigging and casting irons, my yo-yo and trolling reel is a fathom 40, dont need anything bigger in this area.

so, will I be better with extra capacity 60# braid or the strength and abrasion resistance of 80# JB?
The Baja Guy

alantani

12 to 15 pounds is a good working drag for this reel.  the line you have should work, but a lighter drag range.  maybe load up with 60# braid, then top it off with the 80, then a short topshot of mono or fluoro. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

hmmm.. that sounds good, how I didnt thought on that.

actually my 400CTE if filled with 150yd of 50# and then filled with 65# aprox 80-100yds most of the times I fishing with 65#

so, my trini16 will be spooled the same way, thanks Alan,  60# then 80# and mono leaders needed
The Baja Guy