Tiburon Topless Frame Upgrade for Penn 6/0 114 Black Sides

Started by rakempe, November 04, 2010, 03:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakempe

I haven't received a straight answer on this question yet from the manufacturer or company that sold me the Topless Tiburon T60 frame for my Penn 6/0 114 with black side plates. This is not the high-speed or wide version.

My question is whether I utilize the inner and outer chrome rings from the Penn 6/0. I have repeatdely been given different answers so I wanted to take it to the pros! Anyone have any experience with this?

Norcal Pescador

I looked closely at the pictures at Tiburon's website and it looks like you only use the outside chrome rings. Look at the pictures again and notice the rim on the frame that will fill the recess in the sideplates where the inner rings would go.

http://www.tiburonfishingreels.com/tiburon-fishing-reel-conversion-components

The side plates shouldn't fit on the Tib frame with the inner rings on. Notice I said 'shouldn't'.
Hope this helps.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Rakempke,

Is the Tiburon Frame new or old?... the old ones you use all 4 rings, and on the new ones you only use the two outer rings. The reason for the removal of the inner ring is to help prevent the line from getting jammed in between it and the spool.  Good Luck!
Dom

rakempe

It's a new Tiburon frame. I'll try to put it back together without the inner plates and see what happens.

alantani

yes, you need the inside rings!  first, gut the right side plate and assemble the frame, spool, left side plate and the now empty right side plate and see if the spool spins properly.  if not, adjust the end caps so that it does.  now install the guts of the right side plate.  check here for details.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0  double check the drag stack.  did you put a #6-114 under the main gear?  did you remove and discard the fiber washer first?   let's get this thing working.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!