Daiwa Sealine 50H Post Drag-Upgrade Troubleshooting

Started by dwb123, January 23, 2015, 04:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwb123

I recently picked up a Daiwa Sealine 50H in near-mint condition. It sat in someone's garage untouched for years. The only issue was the drag was cranked down all the way for those years, and so the particle-board or whatever-fiber washers were totally kaput.

Inspired by this post (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18.0) I ordered the recommended set of carbontex washers (3 of one size, and the 1 to fit underneath). I put it together exactly as instructed on that tutorial, and now can't generate more than 10lbs of drag (tested with a dumb-bell). The drag washers came very, very lightly greased in drag-grease, which I tried my best to remove. I've taken it apart and put back together several times now and cannot for the life of me figure out why it won't generate more drag strength.

One possible place of concern is the drag-washer set: I know they are supposed to be curved. These are, but are shaped in almost an S-curve, not a C-curve. I don't know if they're supposed to be C-curved, but I've tried these in every possible configuration and there's no difference among any of them.

Another suggestion from someone else - the carbontex washers may be a different thickness than the original particle-board ones. So just because SmoothDrag sold me a "reel-specific" kit for my 50H, that's no guarantee they're the right-sized carbontex. Hmmm...

Any and all advice you could offer on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Young

I recently serviced two 350H which uses the same drag stack with the 50H.  I think I had to use 6 HT-100s or maybe 5, sorry I cannot recall, to make up an equivalent height and I get high enough drags that I cannot hold the spool when cranking.  It's possible you just need additional washers in the stack.  Unfortunately I played with different washers, drilled some out, ground some down to get the right height because I ran out of washers of one type.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dwb123

Thank you for the response!

I guess it could be worse, but that's kinda crappy of SmoothDrag.com to sell a 50H "complete" carbon fiber drag kit that really isn't. I was really hoping not to have to drop another $12 or so on the washers!

Bryan Young

I use a lot of Carbontex washers in many reels.  They are great stuff.  The problem in finding the correct fitment, at times, is experimentation.   I think you would need a couple of washer.  I personally have not used Carbontex direct drag replacements for the Daiwa 50H or 350H for that matter, but with the right fitment, the drags are amazing.  Let me measure some drag washers and see how much you may be off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dwb123

Thank you! That's very kind of you.
I'd measure the old fiber washers myself, but they quite literally turned to dust when I removed them.   :o

Bryan Young

Quote from: dwb123 on January 23, 2015, 06:02:59 AM
Thank you! That's very kind of you.
I'd measure the old fiber washers myself, but they quite literally turned to dust when I removed them.   :o
Each washer is 1.5 mm thick for a total of 4.5 mm thick for the drag washers, not including the metal washers.  I don't know what SmoothDrag had sent you but I believe you many need one additional washer to make up the stack.

day0ne

The problem is some of the sealines have a ridge on the main gear where the drag washers go, some don't. If you have the ridge, you can either grind it off or use two washers at the bottom of the stack so the first metal washer doesn't bottom out on the ridge, killing your drag. Look at your main gear where the drag washers go and see if you have a ridge around the hole where the gear sleeve goes through. I hope I was clear enough
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

dwb123

That was perfectly clear, DayOne. I didn't see any ridge or indication that one existed.

And a major thanks again, Bryan. Those new washers from SD were definitely not anywhere close to 1.5mm thick. I'll give SmoothDrags a call tomorrow.

johndtuttle

Also make sure you have a good spring in your last washer (belleville) so that it puts pressure on the outside of the washers well. This is where most of the drag is generated.

dwb123

It appears the stock fiber washers stacked up measure 4.5mm. The carbontex washers sent by SmoothDrag are not nearly as thick (maybe 3mm or so). I spoke with them over the phone and they'll be sending a custom-cut 4.5mm stack of 3 carbontex washers as a replacement. So that's one definitely problem that could resolve the issue at least in part.

However there's one other area of possible concern - the drag spring washers. Mine are more "S" than "C" shaped. I don't know whether they're currently the correct shape, or have been warped by time and the previous owner having cranked the drag down and put the reel away for years. I tried calling Daiwa but haven't been able to get anyone on the line, and the schematics sheet isn't detailed enough to draw any conclusions. Does anyone here happen to know what shape these drag-spring washers are supposed to be ?

Thanks again everyone

Bryan Young

the spring washer really doesn't matter much at low drag settings (up to 5#s).  I would not worry about it if you are fishing 10# or more drag.

dwb123

Hi Bryan,

Thanks again. I'm a little confused by your comment though. Those two sentences seem to directly contradict themselves.

"the spring washer really doesn't matter much at low drag settings (up to 5#s) [so then therefore they do matter at higher, 5+ drag settings?].  I would not worry about it if you are fishing 10# or more drag."

Bryan Young

Quote from: dwb123 on January 23, 2015, 08:25:57 PM
Hi Bryan,

Thanks again. I'm a little confused by your comment though. Those two sentences seem to directly contradict themselves.

"the spring washer really doesn't matter much at low drag settings (up to 5#s) [so then therefore they do matter at higher, 5+ drag settings?].  I would not worry about it if you are fishing 10# or more drag."
Reverse that...  Sorry...  Spring washers for the location in the Sealine will only affect lower drag settings.  At high drag settings, they are fully compressed and it will react the same as if there was no washer there at all.

dwb123

Oh. Ok, good to hear, as i'll only be using this in the higher drag settings. Thanks again

dwb123

Just spoke w/ Daiwa - "Yup, those are supposed to be C-shaped. We'll send some out to you free of charge." Not bad!