113-H ?

Started by SoCalAngler, January 23, 2015, 06:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I was given this 113-H about 10 years ago and found it in my garage after being lost for many years. I tore it down today and did a cleaning, light grease and TSI'ed the bearings. Here is a pic after the breakdown and as you can see the reel is the older model with frame posts and has the stock drags.

I never plan on using this reel and may sell it if it has any value. I guess that is my question, does this reel have any monitary value and if so what do you think it would be?

Here are some more pictures after the cleaning and as you can see there is pitting on the posts, some on the spool, a little on the rings and reel foot.

Would asking $50 for this reel be too much? Thanks for any input.

alantani

fully service, greased carbon fiber drags, lubed bearings, cleaned up?  $50 is a great price!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Are those sideplates Black?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 23, 2015, 11:28:02 AM
No, the pic above shows they're not.
Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 23, 2015, 06:15:36 AM
I was given this 113-H about 10 years ago and found it in my garage after being lost for many years. I tore it down today and did a cleaning, light grease and TSI'ed the bearings. Here is a pic after the breakdown and as you can see the reel is the older model with frame posts and has the stock drags.

I never plan on using this reel and may sell it if it has any value. I guess that is my question, does this reel have any monitary value and if so what do you think it would be?

Here are some more pictures after the cleaning and as you can see there is pitting on the posts, some on the spool, a little on the rings and reel foot.

Would asking $50 for this reel be too much? Thanks for any input.
Mark, $50 is just about right. I want to mention that some neat parts are going to be available soon for that reel, any chance you would hold on to it?  You might like it afterwards  :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Lots of potential there. ;)
Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

No Alan I did not install new drags because I never plan to fish the reel. I don't want to drop money into something I will never use.

In the 40-50 lb line class I'm all set with reels and anything heavier is where I seriously look at two speed reels anyway for the type of fishing I do, so this reel will just sit at home because I don't think I'd even use it s a backup.

Anyway like I said in the first post thanks for your input guys.

basto

What a coincidence. I got one yesterday, same side plate, same colour handle too. Yours is in better condition than mine. Going to leave mine stock except for the drag.....ok, and the spool. The shop I got mine from had $159.00 on it. After I pointed out the bent stand and cracked ring, I got it for $100.00.AUD.
Great reel!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Superhook

SoCalAngler,

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Fishing-/1492/i.html?_sc=1&_okw=penn&_sticky=1&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2389&_nkw=penn+special+4%2F0&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=1492&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_fsradio2=%26LH_LocatedIn%3D1&_salic=15&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1
For an idea of value it can help to check SOLD items on ebay. Okay when it is not a rare item and you have a range to find some in similar condition for comparison. I beleive the earlier Specials had the dark maroon like yours. Penn went to the trouble of making side plates in a different colour and new moulds . Different from previous standard 4/0 black plated models so i guess they are a bit special.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12841.msg127093;boardseen#new
Basto started a thread at about the same time about a 4/0 Special ... Ha!  Thought it was the same reel.

Ray

steelfish

what a coincidence, a co-worker and good friend also brought me an identical reel but his was a 114h also with maroon side plates, I really ignore where he got it, but the reel has almost zero drag force, 2# at the most with the start all locked up.
I think the drag stack is missing a part or two, I havent opened the reel yet so I have no pics or more information.

I looked the schematics and "kind of" know what parts I missing on the reel (one thick pressure spring shim, spacing sleeve and the felt washer that goes under the pressure plate "136-114) , but dont want to order them yet
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/penn-114h-special-senator-reel-parts-c-186082_186083_186203.html

the one I have has the big pressure plate 136-114 just like this one on the AT pic
for some reason this is the last pic of the handle side plate on the 113/114 short version thread (wondering where I can find the long version)

I searched the best I can I couldnt found a picture of the current parts of a 114h in order after the pressure plate shim (part 136-114)
so, can someone put a picture of his current configuration on a working 114h reel

starting from the pressure plate to the handle.
on the 113/114 tutorial from Alan I have a nice idea of the drag stack configuration but Im lost of the rest of the parts up to the handle
so I can compare with the one I have and order the parts for sure, I think I will pay more for shipping than parts.
(I have to order all parts always from USA since here in this city in Mexico we dont have any reel shop)
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

You need just a standard upgrade kit. like this one.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
Or you could order the 7 stack kit from Bryan.
I would wait and see what you have inside your reel first. The stack could be out of order, or a number of other things causing the drag issue.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 23, 2015, 11:28:02 AM

Ha ha, Bryan you will always be on your quest to find a black 113H. I hope you find it someday. ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

SoCal if your selling that real for the price spoken of earlier I may be interested. That real looks to be in fine shape to me.

Shark Hunter

You are too late brother. Its sitting on my Kitchen table! ;)
He came to me. I can't turn down a good offer on a old Senator. ;D
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Yup it looks like it's in great shape.

steelfish

wow Daron, that was a real pro cleaning job on the side plates, what did you used ?

The Baja Guy