Penn 250 Long Beach Bait Caster parts cross over?

Started by speedwagon2, January 23, 2015, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwagon2

Thanks guys, this site has so much info it is incredible.  The spool on this reel is chrome plated some thing, I am guessing brass.  How strong are these old spools?  Will it handle 40 lb braid and 10-12 lbs drag?

Shark Hunter

Yes,
That spool can take it. As long as its a one piece. Most people switch to aluminum just for the weight savings.
Life is Good!

speedwagon2

Does anyone know when the Penn 259 Long Beach Bait caster was produced?  I like to know how old this reel is.
    Thanks, Dave Babcock(AKA Speedwagon 2)

Bryan Young

Per MysticParts.com  (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennLongBeach.aspx#specs), Late 40s to late 50s

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

If you're considering making that reel a narrow, you have other options. A Senator 110 is the same exact reel,  there is something about having the word Senator on a reel ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2015, 03:07:28 PM
If you're considering making that reel a narrow, you have other options. A Senator 110 is the same exact reel,  there is something about having the word Senator on a reel ;D.
I would love to have a Senator 110, but they are hard to find, so that is how I discovered my 259 could be a Senator Impersonator :D.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Dominick had one that I helped with, he later found a newer one and asked me if I wanted the older one. See if he still has it, I'm sure he'll let you have it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 30, 2015, 03:38:15 PM
I would love to have a Senator 110, but they are hard to find, so that is how I discovered my 259 could be a Senator Impersonator :D.

You can still find 1/0 senators on eBay for around $50 in useable condition. Mint condition will be tougher to find and more expensive, but they do show up every so often......Just a few weeks ago I picked up a 1/0 from late 60's brand new in the box for just over $100.....they are out there, just gotta be patient and a little lucky.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 30, 2015, 05:34:55 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on January 30, 2015, 03:38:15 PM

You can still find 1/0 senators on eBay for around $50 in useable condition. Mint condition will be tougher to find and more expensive, but they do show up every so often......Just a few weeks ago I picked up a 1/0 from late 60's brand new in the box for just over $100.....they are out there, just gotta be patient and a little lucky.
I stopped looking since the prices got inflated.  Sounds like they are coming back down.

Just like when I discovered that my 259 could be narrowed, and 1/0s were far and few between, I noticed that the 259s jumped up in price by at least 50%. 

Maxed Out

[/quote]

I stopped looking since the prices got inflated.  Sounds like they are coming back down.

Just like when I discovered that my 259 could be narrowed, and 1/0s were far and few between, I noticed that the 259s jumped up in price by at least 50%. 
[/quote]

Your discovery was a good one and proof is the higher demand for the 259's.....as far as prices on 1/0 coming back down, that aint happening. Once they stopped making the 1/0 they became less common to find and more expensive, but every so often a good "buy it now" deal comes by, you just gotta be that lucky guy that finds the listing before anyone else.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

txangler81

Thanks Fred that means a lot coming from you
Dustin

PacRat

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 24, 2015, 04:40:55 PM
Dave,

Have you seen this?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12752.0

and

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9874.0

I have 3 Penn 259s and one of the bridge plates allows me to use a Jigmaster gear sleeve.  2 of them did not.  The gear sleeve shaft on 2 of the bridge plates had a smaller diameter than the first one that I did in my narrowed 259.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask.

Bryan

I just discovered that my 259 has the skinny gear sleeve shaft. (Scotts says it's a 3-99) Does anyone have a part no. or know which model donor will have a thicker shaft so I can use a better sleeve and handle?
Thanks
Mike

Bryan Young

I'm not sure if I should have these gear sleeves made in stainless.

Alto Mare

Quote from: PacRat on May 12, 2016, 01:28:35 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on January 24, 2015, 04:40:55 PM
Dave,

Have you seen this?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12752.0

and

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9874.0

I have 3 Penn 259s and one of the bridge plates allows me to use a Jigmaster gear sleeve.  2 of them did not.  The gear sleeve shaft on 2 of the bridge plates had a smaller diameter than the first one that I did in my narrowed 259.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask.

Bryan

I just discovered that my 259 has the skinny gear sleeve shaft. (Scotts says it's a 3-99) Does anyone have a part no. or know which model donor will have a thicker shaft so I can use a better sleeve and handle?
Thanks
Mike
Not sure Mike,  I just checked the hole pattern on the 3-66 & 3-85, those might work, but not 100% on it. Of course installing would tell a different story.

Scott's would usually let you know if there was a substitute, I do not see one from them.
I would still give the ones I've mentioned a shot, maybe a little fine tuning is all that it's needed. :-\

Sal

PacRat

Thanks guys. I just pulled a 3-99 bridge from a 250 Surfmaster and it dropped right in. It's odd because the other two bridges from 259s are also stamped 3-99 but have the skinny sleeve post. We've opened yet another can of worms.

Bryan, I'm not sure we have enough demand for new sleeves here but they would be very helpful in giving better choices of which handles we can use. I'm sure they would be required for your drag upgrade but I'm concerned about what would happen to the skinny sleeve post. I'm sure Sal could bend/break a few with his wagon.

For now I would like to figure out how to know which donor reels would reliably have the 3-99 bridge with the heavy sleeve post. The 3-99 out of the 250 Surfmaster is plated whereas the 3-99s from the 259s are brass. One is stamped '3-99' while the other is not stamped with a part no.

I'll take photos later as I assemble.

Mike