Penn 250 Long Beach Bait Caster parts cross over?

Started by speedwagon2, January 23, 2015, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

Here are some photos. The bridge on the left is the stock bridge from the 259. It's unmarked but Scott's has it listed as a 3-99. The bridge on the right is out of a Surfmaster 250 and it's stamped 3-99. As you can see the sleeve post is thicker and will accept a Jigmaster sleeve.

Alto Mare

Mike, I have seen this a few times before, I believe the earlier models came with thinner posts. I have  a couple of 3-200 with a thinner post.

I would say it isn't worth it making a ss gear sleeve to fit those, but a brass sleeve that slides into the more common ss sleeve would work...just a thought.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

PacRat

I like the way you're thinkin' Sal. Do you think the pin will still engage in the thinner post?
-Mike

Decker

Franken-reel question:   Since the Penn Surfmaster 250 spool fits the Jigmaster 500...

• Could the right side of a 250 (take-apart) be put onto a Jigmaster 500?
  • Could the main gear and pinion of a 200 be used in a Jigmaster 500?

Thinking of having a 3:1 Jigmaster without buying custom gears :)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on July 14, 2017, 07:10:21 PM
Franken-reel question:   Since the Penn Surfmaster 250 spool fits the Jigmaster 500...

I do not have that reel, but I'm thinking yes.
Even if the thumb screw doesn't line up, you could drill a new hole on the ring and tap it. It will probably line up as is though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 14, 2017, 07:27:06 PM

Even if the thumb screw doesn't line up, you could drill a new hole on the ring and tap it. It will probably line up as is though.

Thanks, Sal.  I checked Scott's and the 2-250 handle-side ring fits the 250 and 500, so it should fit.  Any problems putting a 5-60 main gear into a 500?

Alto Mare

Quote from: PacRat on May 13, 2016, 03:39:25 AM
I like the way you're thinkin' Sal. Do you think the pin will still engage in the thinner post?
-Mike

The thumb screw thread is 5-40, same as the plate screws, I actually have a jigmaster that I removed the thumbscrew and replaced it with a plate screw. with that said, I don't believe the thumbscrew on this reel goes into a post, but I might be wrong.

Quote from: Decker on July 14, 2017, 07:46:58 PM

Thanks, Sal.  I checked Scott's and the 2-250 handle-side ring fits the 250 and 500, so it should fit.  Any problems putting a 5-60 main gear into a 500?
If you keep everything intact on that 250 plate, I don't see why it wouldn't.  Again though, I do not have that 250 reel, so I cannot test it for you and myself.

Alto Mare

Disregard that answer above Mike,  that was an older question. I should pay more attention, sorry I missed it when you asked it.
You were talking about the pin on the gear sleeve. I happen to have one here with the brass insert, I believe I got it from the boss a while back, too bad I don't know where I placed it.
The pin should work just fine, the difference on the bridge post isn't much between the two.

Sal

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 14, 2017, 07:27:06 PM
Franken-reel question:   Since the Penn Surfmaster 250 spool fits the Jigmaster 500...

I have one and they do "drop in".  The SS gear sleeve also went on without modification but my bridge had the thicker post.   My Surfmaster 250 sideplate is currently on a 501 frame and has Bryan's Longbeach 60 drag kit in it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

I don't think the 5-60 main will work on a jigmaster bridge - the 250 uses a 3-99 bridge. The silver beach 99 head plate is another option for a 3:1 jigmaster.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Thanks Lee and Mike.  Lee, out of curiousity... how do you use that reel? 

mo65

I'd have to say if you wanted a 3:1 Jigmaster...just leave the 250 head plate right on the 250.
it already IS a 3:1 Jiggy. Now for what Lee did, that's a reel you couldn't get stock, a narrow 3:1 Jiggy. I made one too after reading Lee and Hurt Locker's posts about it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on July 17, 2017, 07:45:36 PM
   I'd have to say if you wanted a 3:1 Jigmaster...just leave the 250 head plate right on the 250.
it already IS a 3:1 Jiggy. Now for what Lee did, that's a reel you couldn't get stock, a narrow 3:1 Jiggy. I made one too after reading Lee and Hurt Locker's posts about it. 8)

Beauty, Mo.   I was thinking of having the 250 available as a swap-able option for a jigmaster....  I have one that is 5:1 (custom gears) and one that is 4:1 (stock).  With a 250 head plate, I could put it on a jigmaster and have 3:1 for strong cranking. 

mo65

Quote from: Decker on July 17, 2017, 07:58:02 PM
 I was thinking of having the 250 available as a swap-able option for a jigmaster.

I guess you could swap it. I was just figuring since the whole frame/tailplate side is the same(short of the picture on the Surfmaster tailplate) you could just use the Surfy 250. Another one that would fit this bill is the 259 Live Bait Caster...and the Silverbeach 99 is another option. They're like Legos!  ;)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on July 17, 2017, 08:36:29 PM
Another one that would fit this bill is the 259 Live Bait Caster...and the Silverbeach 99 is another option. They're like Legos!  ;)[/color]

LOL, yes, they are... legos for salty old dogs!